Engine knock...how bad is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine knock...how bad is this?

I bought this '82 650G about a month ago with 16k miles. It was all original, and seemed to be in great shape mechanically. I changed the oil about 2 weeks ago with Rotella T and an OEM Suzuki filter. I've put about 400 miles on it since the oil change w/o issue.

About halfway through today's ride (I was flogging it pretty hard), it began to tick from the right side cam area. The ticking would only occur when the engine was under load, and go away when coasting or under a constant throttle. Being a hundred miles from home, I decided to keep riding. The tick stayed the same until I was @ 20 miles from the house, and it became more of a knock and increased in volume.

I knew it wasn't good, but decided to press on. A few miles later, I could tell it was beginning to lose power...and after a few more miles, I got caught by a red light. As I slowed and pulled in the clutch, the oil light came on and the engine quit.

How bad is this?

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page
    Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2014, 10:34 PM.

Brother, I'm neither a mechanic nor a diagnostician. But it doesn't sound good. Get thee to a nunnery!
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by kwb377;2105128 As I slowed and pulled in the clutch, the oil light came on and the engine quit.

How bad is this? :nightmare:

[URL
      http://vimeo.com/104884861[/URL]
      With my optimistic hat on, this is consistent with the clutch nut being loose. The oil pump can lose drive. I think your motor has helical primary gears so the clutch will move in and out depending on whether drive is applied or not and pulling the clutch can pull the oil pump drive out of engagement. I don't know what kind of view you have from the oil filler but I would open it, put the bike in top gear, rock it back and forth and see if the basket moves in or out.When the clutch is pulled does the whole assembly move.
      Last edited by Brendan W; 09-01-2014, 05:03 AM.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
        With my optimistic hat on, this is consistent with the clutch nut being loose. The oil pump can lose drive. I think your motor has helical primary gears so the clutch will move in and out depending on whether drive is applied or not and pulling the clutch can pull the oil pump drive out of engagement. I don't know what kind of view you have from the oil filler but I would open it, put the bike in top gear, rock it back and forth and see if the basket moves in or out.When the clutch is pulled does the whole assembly move.
        Yes, this makes sense, but maybe the engine just lost oil (leak?)- first noise at cams as pressure drops, then at crank with more drop and finally oil light comes on at 10psi.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Yes, this makes sense, but maybe the engine just lost oil (leak?)- first noise at cams as pressure drops, then at crank with more drop and finally oil light comes on at 10psi.
          If you lost oil from a leak it would obvious as hell. It would be all over somewhere on the bike. Did you do any maintenance on the bike besides the oil change?
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

No oil leak...I also drained the oil when I got it home last night to check for metal bits or other signs of damage, nothing.

The only mechanical things I've done (aside from brakes/tires) have been the oil change, removing the clutch/breaker/stator covers to clean/polish and replaced those gaskets, and remove the exhaust to clean/polish.

Judging by the look of the cam cover gasket, and the torque values and valve specs hand-written in the included manual, the p.o. had recently done a valve check.

Although I'm mechanically inclined, I've never disassembled/rebuilt an engine...so this should be interesting.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2014, 05:32 PM.

Comment

A slow leak over 400 miles might be missed- filter cover or problem at secondary drive cavity. And 60 psi can find places to escape! I don't like surprises, that's why I check oil level before every ride.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Oil level was showing at the "Full" mark last night before draining.

Comment

From your description, it sounds like you could have a spun bearing.
                  Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    From your description, it sounds like you could have a spun bearing.
                    Ray.

Unfortunately, that's my amateur diagnosis also. I took the cam cover off the inspect the top-end bits...

Clutch hub nut was tight, and oil pump unobstructed...

Comment

Working...
                    X