Neutral is broken on '80 gs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neutral is broken on '80 gs1100

So I can't get the bike to roll freely for more than a few feet. Its in neutral but locks up the back wheel after a few steps. What is wrong? Where do I start?

so it's an 80 1100 which means it's a chain drive....correct?

Comment

yes. Chain drive

Comment

need prior info...everything was great and then all of a sudden ect...
        or
        it was making a sound or i noticed a small catch when i slowed down or rolled it right before this happened....
        will it roll with the clutch in?
        does it do this when running or only when the engine is shut off?

Comment

The bike has been sitting. I did try to cycle the engine by turning the wheel while in gear. I might have turned it the wrong way. Now the bike only rolls for a few feet before locking up the rear wheel.

Comment

is this a running riding bike right now?
            if not get it to run and ride..just not enough info and a far from normal problem with these engines.

Comment

I found the problem!!! A nut was stuck in my chain. When it hit the sprockets the tire locked up. Check your chain regularly. Could of been scary.

Comment

Bigger question is have you removed the sprocket cover and looked around the side of the bike for missing nuts?? Can STILL be scary till you assure that everything that should be bolted down truely is!!!! Nuts can also come from above and drop down the battery box area, skip off the swing arm, and settle into the links so check above and around the rear of the tank and battery box area too.

Been wrenching lately and dropped one that you couldnt find?????
                Last edited by chuck hahn; 09-01-2014, 11:55 AM.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yup, better find where that nut came from and while at it, make sure everything else is tight.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                  X