Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the transmission the same on 1981-1983 GS650GL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the transmission the same on 1981-1983 GS650GL?

I've got a 1982 GS650GL that skips out of second gear with any amount of throttle
    I took the engine apart and found that one of the forks is gouged, and the place where that fork sits in the drum is gouged, and that spot is when the bike is in 2nd gear.
    The dogs and teeth of the 2nd gear main and lay shafts look mainly ok, but I may replace them too depending on what I hear back from you fine folk.

The issue is that I'm finding a variety of prices for different year parts on ebay.
    It looks like the 1981-1983 transmissions are the same to me, but I'm no expert.
    for a 1982 GS650GL, what years can I buy replacement transmission parts for?

Thanks

Here are some pics, and a link to my project.

Here's what the gouged corner of the shift drum looks like.

All shaft 650's probably share identical trans parts. But ,going back to your other thread on this problem, you talked about vibration at high speed- I'm no transmission expert (or wannabe ) but what you found so far in drums/dogs stuff doesn't suggest vibration to me. Sounds like something revolving poorly -bad bearing or bent shaft- personally ,I'd look for donor transmission to be safe. You are doing a lot of work here- best to be sure!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Good call, tom203. I keep forgetting about the vibration problem.
      I'll look to replace the whole transmission. I'm finding some pretty good deals on ebay.

Comment

Working...
      X