No play at the clutch lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No play at the clutch lever

My 1980 GS1100 had to be adjusted to have no play in the clutch lever or the bike would creep forward when in gear. So I went ahead & replaced all the clutch fibers (the steels were good) & replaced the clutch cable. It's still exactly the same. Any suggestions?
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

OEM fibers?
    OEM springs?
    OEM cable?
    nice smooth bends when routing?
    on hot rods a person has to sacrifice things.
    a 100% stock clutch won't hold added HP if it is very much.
    a stock clutch with a lock up unit will hold a few hundred HP and feel factory(or lighter) and you can find neutral when stopped in gear.
    on my hot rod street bikes i ran 3 gold barnett springs and 3 factory.
    it was harder to pull in but the clutch lasted a long time and didn't slip.
    i could power shift and find neutral no problem when stopped or just putt around on the street.

Comment

Steel plates may be warped.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Don't forget there are 3 adjustments on a OEM clutch cable. Clutch arm, Clutch lever and in the middle of the cable more or less.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

When you changed the clutch disks, did you inspect the clutch basket?

Open it up again and look along the grooves where the 'fingers' of the disks run. If there are a bunch of dimples there from the disk 'fingers' the disks will tend to center themselved into those dimples and will not slide sideways to release their grip on the steels.

Here is what you are looking for (and hoping not to find):

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If I take all the adjustment out of the lever, the clutch will feel fine. It doesn't engage right off the lever anymore & I can find neutral. OEM fibers & cable, 3 gold springs, 3 stock. There's no slippage even after flogging it all day at the strip.

Steve, IIRC there is some grooves in the basket.
            80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
              Steve, IIRC there is some grooves in the basket.
              Well, as I mentioned earlier, for the clutch to release, those disks need to separate from each other. Those dimples prevent that.

There are two ways that I know of to rectify the situation:
              1. Take a BUNCH of time and a small file or grinding stone to smoothe out the dimples.
              2. Get a new basket.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

put a pipe on the lever and carefully bend it to get more travel at the grip...
                you can then add a little free play back.
                a little makes a big difference.
                the problem with no free play is that your throw out bearing isn't very happy from being loaded all the time.

Comment

Working...
                X