No announcement yet.

Oil consumption, typical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it runs good, so what? Oil is cheap enough. I met a traveling bluegrass musician once that had over 300K on a Chrysler 318. He added a quart of oil to his gas tank on a fill up from near empty. His dad built race cars for decades and said it made things live long, calling it "wet engine" tech. I check my oil a lot so it's nothing I ever sweat. I've known older guys who tossed a touch of 2 stroke oil in the tank for the hell of it. I tried it, unless you use a lot, it won't give off a wisp of smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
      a touch of 2 stroke oil in the tank for the hell of it. I tried it, unless you use a lot, it won't give off a wisp of smoke.
      Interesting - have others here tried this?
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

That's excessive and due to age it is probably not rings or compression related but dried up valve oil seals. You can do them now or ignore them until it gets worse. They can be done without removing the head and there are threads here on how to do it. You can also remove the head to do them but you risk a good chance of disturbing the base gasket but could be a good time to do a hone and fresh rings. That's what I did. I did however leave mine using oil for quite sometime before I did the job. Your choice, I did mine as winter project as there was no rush.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

So what would the standard compression psi be on these engines new, after a good break-in ?
          I may consider a valve seal replacement, but won't worry too much about the oil unless it starts smoking. The head does leak oil a little bit so another thing to watch.

Comment

If you are burning/leaking a quart of oil in 5,000 miles, some thing or many things are very wrong with your engine. I have gone over 20,000 miles on an old/tired GS and it did not go down even a half a quart.
            As for the standard compression reading range for your engine, that is dependent on the altitude range that you ride in. The safe range (minimum to maximum) is printed in the factory manual.

Comment

A quart every 5,000 miles is excessive in a 30 year-old air-cooled motor? I don't think so.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

I'd agree with many of the above posts. Just ride it and watch the oil level. Don't overthink this. Your compression numbers are great.

I find that mine uses almost no oil in "ordinary" use. However, it will use oil at about 1 quart/1000 miles if I'm in the twisties and flogging it at high RPM a lot. This is pretty normal for air-cooled engines.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                  If you are burning/leaking a quart of oil in 5,000 miles, some thing or many things are very wrong with your engine. I have gone over 20,000 miles on an old/tired GS and it did not go down even a half a quart.
                  As for the standard compression reading range for your engine, that is dependent on the altitude range that you ride in. The safe range (minimum to maximum) is printed in the factory manual.

You're going 20,000 miles or more between oil changes?
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                  X