Repaired 1150 crankshaft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repaired 1150 crankshaft.

I've never actually seen a partially dissassembled crank before. I needed a new left end big taper and the number one connecting rod replaced, due to the starter clutch drama/carnage back in June. Actually, I think some parts were floating around for awhile before that, but the bike would still start until the last trackday I attended, where it let go completely loading the bike into the truck. I bump started in the pits 8 times that day with an occasional shove from folks watching me running in full leathers down the flat pit area. I timed my sessions so the first wave would go and wouldn't have to idle while waiting line.

Thanks Ray for suggesting Pearson for the repair. Pearson made an interesting observation only a crankbuilder would notice or someone intimate with engine internals, that the left pin had a poor press fit before it was supercranked up at Falicon in 96', so Falicon welded a bead all the way around the pin instead of a spot weld. He had to cut that off to get to the rod.

Still need to get a cam chain and figure out what size pistons to go with maybe 2mm over or go to 3mm again.

GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

That level of carnage makes me wanna cry

Comment

Carter, I have SEVERAL sets of 1200 pistons you could cut the domes down on if you want a set of those. I can sell you a set, with new rings & clips for 325 shipped to you. The rings & clips are over 100 so the pistons would be about 200 + the shipping. Let me know.
      Ray.

Comment

So clearly there are engineering companies around that can actually dissemble a welded up crank?

Do you think they could fix this one?

Greetings
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
          So clearly there are engineering companies around that can actually dissemble a welded up crank?

Greetings
          Yes, John Pearson can fix that!
          Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post

Greetings
            have you tried Chris Applebee engineering Richard?
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

roger upperton does good crankwork in the uk
              he has built my cranks fitting the gsx1100 crank in the gs1000 8 valve for me

ozman

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                Carter, I have SEVERAL sets of 1200 pistons you could cut the domes down on if you want a set of those. I can sell you a set, with new rings & clips for 325 shipped to you. The rings & clips are over 100 so the pistons would be about 200 + the shipping. Let me know.
                Ray.
                Ray, are these pistons MTC 2mm over or 3mm or another brand?
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Carter, the 1200 pistons are 2mm over. 1230 are 3mm. I believe I have MTCs & JEs both but have to look to be certain.
                  Ray.

Comment

Hamshire - thanks for that. I've just sent him a message with my crank video. I'll see what he makes of it.

Greetings
                    Richard
                    sigpic
                    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
                    X