Top End Noise, intermittant, and the tach started wavering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top End Noise, intermittant, and the tach started wavering

then slowed to 1/4 proper speed...I 1st started noticing this noise a 100mi. or so ago, just a light and intermittant yet cyclical tick. It has since gotten worse and is now sometimes fairly loud and even feeling a little vibe when it "knocks". Concurrent with the noise is the tach starting to act weird, and now down to registering only about 1/4 of actual revs(around 1k @ 60mph)...I pulled the tack gear today expecting to see tooth damage, but no, not really...gonna take off the valve cover, but dang if I can figure what's up...thought the driven gear was the prob...anyone see this sort of prob before??? Otherwise the bike's runnin' strong as a good runnin' '83 GS1100e with GSXR carbs, pods, and 4/2/1 should...bike's a cherry with only 20k on it...

Yes, go exploring in valve area. Also make sure you understand how cam chain tensioner is supposed to work -the stock unit is prone to operator misunderstanding.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by fast eddie 52 View Post
      ...'83 GS1100e with GSXR carbs, pods, and 4/2/1...bike's a cherry with only 20k on it...
      May we see some pics?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Carefully inspect your valve adjustment studs/nuts as well as the rocker arms. When did you last adjust them?

Comment

Pic of our GS' s...I went to post this pic after typing a whole paragraph, and poof text is gone...where is this auto save when you need it??? Anyway, my red one has been upgraded with a blue one...when we bought the deepblue one, it had a severe oil leak at the front of crankcase seam(a couple drops/min from the area of #4 crank throw) and some cam chain noise. Epoxy fixed the oil leak(weird one, was leery of that, still am) and the cam chain noise was due to the auto-tensioner bein' locked down(improperly) rather than allowed to "float". I've been riding it since June with no probs till now...I think I found the answer right here at GSResources in a thread about aftermarket valve cover gskts. I've got a fat red one, and that apparently messes with the tach gear lash. I hope a new VC gskt is all I need. I'll get a pic of my bike in soon and let ya know what I find when the VC comes off...
          Last edited by Guest; 10-04-2014, 03:50 PM. Reason: new pic

Comment

Finally got around to taking the VC off, exhaust cam tach drive worm gear sheared. I had come to expect that since it had a red VC gskt, thicker than OEM(bought that way). Sooo...I'm thinkin' I'd like to go electronic on the tach, anyone know of a straight swap from another model??? Saw a project for installing one from a 750, but hoping not to get into an intensive fab project, hoping for a drop in. A match to the old would be good, but it doesn't have to be exact...any ideas??? Btw, gonna post a pic when I get it figured out, 1st try didn't work for some reason...

Comment

let me know if you need an exhaust cam...i may have a couple for your 83..
              pm me if interested.

Comment

thanks, I'll keep it in mind if the electronic doesnt pan out...

Comment

Working...
                X