Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100EZ crank twisting

Just how common is this?

I've read that if the motor isn't modified (mine isn't), there's not much risk. I've also read that if it was going to happen, it would've happened by now (27k miles).

The thing is, I recently discovered that after 6k or so rpm in first gear, the front starts to rise. So after it's warmed up, I've started doing it on purpose, just once (maybe twice) each ride.

Am I asking for trouble?

And yes, I know that just because my bodywork is '83 red and my '82 engine is painted black doesn't make it any stronger.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

i would worry more about the small crank taper than the crank twisting.
    if you ever have starter clunking/free spinning ect...have it checked and don't put it off.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      i would worry more about the small crank taper than the crank twisting.
      if you ever have starter clunking/free spinning ect...have it checked and don't put it off.
      Will do. Thanks.

So riding habits have no relevance to the small crank taper situation?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

In my opinion they had some pad press fits from the factory which caused them to twist. I've seen a lot of them. I have never seen a higher mileage non-welded crank twisted. I put about 130 HP on a non welded crank and rode it hard with no problems.
        If you want a welded crank I have one.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          Will do. Thanks.

So riding habits have no relevance to the small crank taper situation?
          yes riding habits affect the small taper failure as it does with starter clutch failure.
          high revs then close the throttle abruptly..down shifting like a road racer ect...

quick story
          i sold a friend a bone stock 1980 GS1100L(under 20k miles)...he road it home and had the engine out while it was still hot.
          he installed it in his drag bike that had a failed engine.
          he only added a set of red clutch spring to a totally stock engine..well plus a set of RS38 carbs and his 100hp shot of NOS.
          he raced this for 2 weekends with zero failures...crazy huh?
          i bought the engine back after he had his race engine repaired and resold it to another guy for his street bike...ran great!
          i don't recommend this but i seen it with my eyes.

Comment

It will happen like this. It will be a nice day in the spring or maybe autumn. You'll have reason for celebration, a birthday, or maybe you'll see a pretty girl walking down the street to impress. You'll get the urge to loft the front wheel and you'll rev it 6000 and maybe higher.

All will go well until as you set it down you'll hear a whirring noise. You've never heard a whirring noise before but when it happens you'll know "My Gawd, that's the whirring noise everyone warned me about"

It happened quite a bit. Don't know why age or high mileage would be insurance against it happening now, but it might. Mine happened after a wheelie with 10K on the clock.. Sleep well my friend, Sleep well

Comment

I beat hell out of my 82 EZ for 40k from darn near brand new. I doubt the occasional hot rodding is a deal breaker for reliability.

Comment

Working...
              X