1983 ES top end rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 ES top end rattle

Both of my bikes have clutch noise. I have read a bunch of threads so I have an idea what to do about this. But my ES has a noisy top end. It sound like a loose chain or just loose something. It's a rattle that doesn't go away with acceleration or RPMs. At first I didn't notice it because I thought I was hearing the clutch springs rattle but then I realized that my E is much quieter and the additional noise is coming from the top end.

When I adjusted the valve lash the chain seemed very tight. I only rotated the motor enough to accomplish the task and then closed her up. What could be loose? The bike runs great. Feels more smooth the more I ride it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by glib; 10-09-2014, 06:27 PM.
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Here is a recording of the noise. Toward the end of the recording I moved the mic closer to the gearbox and then back toward the head to help distinguish gearbox noise from the noise I am hearing in the top end.

This is "Untitled" by G L on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.
    sigpic

Comment

Lots of little parts on the 16 valve camshafts- maybe loose rocker, poor oiling. There seems to an replaceable axial shim on both camshafts according to parts fiches.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You guys are so wise. You knew it was a loose chain all along and that I'd discover it myself if I just got off my butt and opened it up.

I guess the chain seemed tight when I had it open before because I had turned the crank to adjust the valves.
        sigpic

Comment

Well, you did say this....."When I adjusted the valve lash the chain seemed very tight"
          better make sure you understand how cam chain tensioner works- it seems to baffle folks with its simplicity!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            Well, you did say this....."When I adjusted the valve lash the chain seemed very tight"
            better make sure you understand how cam chain tensioner works- it seems to baffle folks with its simplicity!
            I agree. So I took it out last night and examined it to see how it works. I am not certain but I think the "lock" part of the mechanism may have been jammed. I remember not being able to move it prior to removal but I didn't want to mess with it because I didn't know how it worked. The unit does seem to work properly and now I do understand how it works and why the install process is what it is. Hoping it will do the trick after I get the valve cover back on this morning.

Here's a question: Once the tensioner has moved forward and the "lock" has rotated so that the chain is indeed tight, if you push down on the section of chain across the cam gears, how much movement should you get? Seems like it should not move at all.
            sigpic

Comment

A small amount of play is good. Too tight is bad.
              83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

It's not clear you grasp tensioner reinstall, so go to this link and review step 13

once installed the plunger shaft must freely move out to take up chain slack,BUT not push back. The setscrew needs to be backed off plunger shaft slightly (to let plunger move) and then locked in postion by locknut
                1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
                  A small amount of play is good. Too tight is bad.
                  Thank you.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    It's not clear you grasp tensioner reinstall, so go to this link and review step 13

once installed the plunger shaft must freely move out to take up chain slack,BUT not push back. The setscrew needs to be backed off plunger shaft slightly (to let plunger move) and then locked in postion by locknut
                    Thanks for the link. Once I took the tensioner apart and could understand how it worked, the instructions from other threads regarding installation made much more sense. I believe I have it correctly installed and it is working properly. I am about to button it up and start it. I'll report shortly.
                    sigpic

Comment

Happy to report that the engine is so quiet now I can hear a leak from the asbestos? sleeve connecting the exhaust under the motor. Really very nice.

I think the tensioner seems a bit mysterious only until you disassemble it and see it's simplicity.

Time to take a spin.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X