Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new clutch cable , lubed but extremely hard to pull in

Hi everyone.

I just changed out the clutch cable on my new to me 1979 Suzuki gs850g.

(Tried to buy OEM but local Suzuki shop told me no way to order a new one, discontinued, and offered to sell me an aftermarket for 35.00-50.00 range).

I sprayed down the cable with wd40 professional silicone cable lube.

Installed and tightened the cable down on either end, (not fully routed, just coming off the bars, down, and to the hookup for the clutch cable to transmission on top of the motor.

It feels like clutch not fully disengaging, (testing by placing in gear, trying to roll the bike forward and back. I can roll the bike with the clutch fully pulled in to the bar but it feels like there is resistance.)

It also feels no better or maybe worse with new cable than the old one for tension on the clutch handle. (Almost like using an exercise spring for hands/forearms)

I was expecting the bike to have an effortless pull on the clutch.

Are my expectations out of line ?

Thanks

Sean

Sounds like thecStealership is giving you wrong info. I think the cables are still being sold and also Motion Pro sells them as well for about $15 I believe. Did you buy the aftermarket one? Maybe its the cable or did you adjust it?

Comment

If the bike is new to you, the previous owner may have tried to fix a slipping clutch with heavy duty springs. MY 850 had an absurd pull until I put new OEM springs in it. I did eventually need to put new fiber plates in it as well. Common wisdom is that it's worth trying new OEM springs before spending the $100 or so on new plates. The springs lose strength over decades. If you take them out and measure their free length, you can check it against specs in the service manual.

BTW, the Zuk dealer on Rt4 did not impress me with customer service a few years ago when I last was in there. They're under new management now, but if that's where you went, then it seems things have not changed for the better. The clutch cable is still available, as listed here, under "OEM parts". My guess is, the dealer didn't know how to find it, and didn't care enough to keep looking. Finding OEM is worth the bother for cables. The MotionPro cables I tried didn't last long.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I purchased a motion pro instead. Brand new. Matches up in length with the cable originally on the bike. (The cable that came with the bike has an adjuster screw in the middle of the cable while the new one does not, just has the two end adjusters.)

To remove the old cable I had to unscrew the bolt and remove the clutch release arm from the pinion since the ancient cotter pin was rusted on and stuck.

When placing the new cable it I screwed the bottom screw in so it would be tight and then adjusted. At first there was barely any tension ( I was thinking this was great that my clutch felt like the showroom bikes then realized I couldn't pull in the clutch and move the bike at all when in gear.)

I adjusted back and forth until the clutch started to release but still seems to drag a bit.

Sean

Comment

If you mean the Yamaha/suzuki dealership in Fairfield oh (Suzuki specialties) then that's where I went to.

Comment

Bike is definately new to me. My wife bought it for me last Xmas from craigslist, with the previous owner stating he didn't know anything about the bike he bought it a year prior and never did anything with it. Then he got strapped for cash and sold for 600. He claimed to have 7 other bikes so didn't really need this one.

I havent even managed to ride it yet. Still needs the new back tire on it too.... Just finally bought some parts within a month or so when a little money came in.

Sean

Comment

Yeah, the dealer in Fairfield. Once I learned how much better shopping online was, I never went back. The only thing I get locally now is tires from Sport Tour on Northland blvd. Pretty much anything I need to try on I get there too. Except riding pants, for some reason. Btw, you can save money on tires if you just bring in the wheels. I think that's also less hassle than getting a ride back and forth to pick ip and drop off the whole bike.

Edit: your wife is awesome.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I'm wondering if I didn't replace the clutch arm correctly. The thing turns back and forth freely for a couple degrees. I assumed it needed to be turned counter clockwise to be tight, then tried to put the threaded end on the motor case.

I'll recheck it tomorrow because I cannot see why it wouldn't fully release.

Comment

Number 7 here: http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/...r-front-fender
                  Your local dealership sucks.

Comment

In regards to the clutch not fully disengaging...

I havent even managed to ride it yet.
                    If the bike has been sitting a while, the clutch plates are going to be stuck together. Fix the cable and lever pull issues and adjust the cable properly. When you fire it up for the first time and clunk it down into first, it's going to lurch forward just a bit but will free up in 1 or 2 seconds. You can also free it up with the rear brake and the bike on the center stand, if you prefer.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Been trying to adjust cable back and forth. Just gets tight at handle with no slack at handle per manual. (Clymer).

Does not seem to release at all when in gear and pulling in clutch to roll forward with bike off.

If the issue is clutch release springs a quick look at clymer shows pulling off side of case exposes the offending springs.

Does the motor need to be pulled for this ?

I saw a YouTube video of a guy working on a dirt bike and just placing on its side. Don't know if this would apply to a 79 gs850gCameraZOOM-20141013121637541.jpg
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

CameraZOOM-20141013121646735.jpg

Pics of cable

Comment

CameraZOOM-20141013121658191.jpg

Pics of clutch handle

Comment

Originally posted by seanarthurmachado View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]36764[/ATTACH]

Pics of cable
                            This almost looks like it's misrouted above handlebars instead of below possibly causing it to bind up?
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                              This almost looks like it's misrouted above handlebars instead of below possibly causing it to bind up?
                              Well the cable is not routed. I hooked it up underneath to the clutch release, s
                              Across to the left side then shot up directly to the handlebar without running on under side of tank and up.

My thought was to make sure the adjuster screws were set first. (This may have been a bad idea.)

The orignal cable that came with the bike had a plastic piece over the metal bit that goes into the hole for the lever. It makes the bit slightly larger.

That plastic piece was damaged so I cannot place the original cable back.

Comment

Working...
                              X