GS1100ES Camshaft Specifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100ES Camshaft Specifications

From this sheet I found on BikeBandit.com, I calculate the intake lift at .276 in. and exhaust at .256 in. Can anyone confirm or correct?

That's pretty mild compared to even the 167 grind at WebCam.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by glib; 10-13-2014, 01:10 AM.
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Thank you. I saw your posts on another thread regarding the cam you are running and figured you would know the answer to this.

On an otherwise stock motor/stock exhaust, is it worth upgrading to a "167?" What else should I read? Edit: (Looks like it would be much cheaper to get 1150 cams for about the same result. Is that correct)?
      Last edited by glib; 10-13-2014, 12:06 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
        Thank you. I saw your posts on another thread regarding the cam you are running and figured you would know the answer to this.

On an otherwise stock motor/stock exhaust, is it worth upgrading to a "167?" What else should I read? Edit: (Looks like it would be much cheaper to get 1150 cams for about the same result. Is that correct)?
        It is hard to find decent USED cams, and it is a bit of a challenge to get your cams degreed. When faced with the same question back in 2007, I just bought the 0.340 webcams. The 1150 cams did not have the tach drive, although for your ESD that would not be an issue.
        For ESD the cheapest option is the 1150 cams. For me it was not an option.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          It is hard to find decent USED cams, and it is a bit of a challenge to get your cams degreed. When faced with the same question back in 2007, I just bought the 0.340 webcams. The 1150 cams did not have the tach drive, although for your ESD that would not be an issue.
          For ESD the cheapest option is the 1150 cams. For me it was not an option.
          I see. Thank you.

You have some nice additional upgrades. Would the .340 webcams be okay with the balance of the motor stock or would the .310s be a better fit in your opinion?
          sigpic

Comment

I see. Thank you.

You have some nice additional upgrades. Would the .340 webcams be okay with the balance of the motor stock or would the .310s be a better fit in your opinion?
            You are going to have to rejet in any case and there is nothing wrong with 0.340's on a stock engine. I put a 1100 intake cam into a bone stock 81 16V 750 and I needed to bump the mains a couple of steps. Added a noticeable increase in pep. If you are going pods and pipe then do the 0.340's otherwise just find some 1150 cams.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              You are going to have to rejet in any case and there is nothing wrong with 0.340's on a stock engine. I put a 1100 intake cam into a bone stock 81 16V 750 and I needed to bump the mains a couple of steps. Added a noticeable increase in pep. If you are going pods and pipe then do the 0.340's otherwise just find some 1150 cams.
              Good to know. I'll stick with the stock exhaust and airbox but after reading some of your posts and others it seems that the stock cams are unnecessarily mild. Thanks again.
              sigpic

Comment

Good to know. I'll stick with the stock exhaust and airbox but after reading some of your posts and others it seems that the stock cams are unnecessarily mild. Thanks again.

Probably for gas mileage.

My 1166/36mm CV/Ported head/4:2:1/0.340 cams gets about 35 mpg.

Comment

The .340 Web (#223) is a big jump up in lift from 1100 cams, so you really should put Heavy Duty valve springs in an 1100 to use them. I tried them on stock 1100 springs and it was a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by jimb12 View Post
                    The .340 Web (#223) is a big jump up in lift from 1100 cams, so you really should put Heavy Duty valve springs in an 1100 to use them. I tried them on stock 1100 springs and it was a mistake.
                    What other mods did you make? What changes to jetting?
                    sigpic

Comment

What other mods did you make? What changes to jetting?
                      Mine had a 4-1 exhaust on it and I ran a Dynojet Stage 3 kit with pods in the stock carbs for a bit. Also used Mikuni RS flatslides, which are much better than the stock carbs.

Comment

Working...
                      X