Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to test if head/valves is getting oiled.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to test if head/valves is getting oiled.

Hi

I`v just finished rebuilding my engine. I need to know if there is a way to see without removing the valve cover if the head is getting oiled.
    It oil pressure light goes off when idling.
    I cant see through the RPM gear.
    Should oil be spitting out that hole if I remove the gear.?

Thank you.

That might work, but I'm not sure. On the 16-valve engine, the tach drive gear is up high, unlike the 8-valve one which is practically sitting in a pool of oil.

Another way might be to remove the oil plugs on the sides of the head and turn the engine by hand. (By hand, I say.) They look like bolts. I believe they're for oil cooler lines. I imagine oil will drip pretty good from the holes with those plugs removed.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Removing the oil plugs is what my engine builder recommended for first start up to make sure oil was present.

Comment

Thank you for your input. I finally asked a friends help to hold the cover closed, started the engine, let it run, turn it off, remove the cover as fast a possible and look. There was oil.all over.
        I wish there was a plastic cover you could use to visually see the oil flow to make sure the cams are getting lubed up nice and slippery!
        Maybe get a oil pressure gauge and put it at the head where the top oiler goes to see if proper oil pressure is present.

Comment

Originally posted by c&c View Post
          Maybe get a oil pressure gauge and put it at the head where the top oiler goes to see if proper oil pressure is present.
          That would be nice, except that the fact that you have pressure does not mean that oil is flowing.

It only means that it is being supplied faster than it is being used.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I agree it does not confirm that the cams are getting oiled. I guess tt's just an other tool to determine if proper pressure is getting to the head.

Comment

I've seen several mods that will help (although you will still not know for sure).

One was a little restrictor plug that diverts more oil up top. See: Restrictor Plug

The other one is using the GS750 oil pump gears. Presumably this just gives a greater oil flow all round.

Then of course there are those top end oiler kits.

What you don't want is to end up like this:

Greetings
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

No wonder its worn theres a hair on ure cam. Im sure that caused clearance issues and was tight and started to eat it self alive. Give it to ray, he will fix it

Comment

Plain and simple.
                  With the valve cover off. Remove the clutch basket and spin the oil pump gear by hand or by finger until you see the oil flowing in the head it is a good way to prime the oil pump on a complete rebuild also
                  My stable
                  84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                  85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                  88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                  98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                  90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                  06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                  00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

i was gonna say, if your tach gear leaks like a sieve (16v) like mine, its probably getting oiled up there.

Brian
                    Brian

82 GS1100E
                    sigpic

Comment

on a similar note, on a motor that is normally running just fine for years, what are the chances/causes of the head not receiving enough oil?

Brian
                      Brian

82 GS1100E
                      sigpic

Comment

On a fresh engine I remove the chrome bolt on the r/h side of the case. Use a new bottle of Rotella with a nozzle on it an back prime those galleries. The oil pump gets filled along with the head galleries.

Cheers,
                        Daryl
                        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                        1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                        X