Bike runs the same a with 3 and 4 unplugged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike runs the same a with 3 and 4 unplugged

Just for kicks I did a little experiment. I unplugged 3 & 4 and discovered the engine ran exactly the same as it did with those 2 plugged in. Definitely time to tear it down.
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Don't tear it down yet.

Follow the leads back to their coils. It is possible they got swapped some time in the past, and are firing their plugs at the wrong time.

I'm sure you know this, but one coil fires 1&4, the other one fires 2&3.

Also before tearing anything apart, check valve clearance, carb sync and mixture screw settings.
    Just to be sure it's not missing one of the key ingredients for combustion, fuel, compression, fire.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i think the carb sinc on this bike is called the "idle adjustment" hehe.
      read his sig...this is a turbo frankenmonster with a stock engine.
      i believe it is wounded as per his other threads....

Comment

I thought I had seen that he was working on another bike, one that is not mentioned in his sig.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

dun't know...
          he has a hayabusa and his 81 1100E as far as i know.

Comment

It's the gs. I'm just posting this for you guys for the heck of it. I'm not sure what's wrong with my bike besides a blown head gasket. I'm tearing it down soon to see what I find. Other bike is good.
            1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

gasket could be blown between the cylinders or the crank may have twisted.
              you will know soon enough..

Comment

Anybody have any tips for getting the barrel off...yeeesh!

Comment

The inside of the cylinders are nasty looking. They're all scored and rusty and in general not very smooth and clean. I can feel where the rust is. This is after roughly 1000 miles of running. It sat 14 years before I got it.

Comment

Got it. A little more severe persuasion.
                    No obvious signs of turbo related failure. The head gasket is intact as far as shape but very dirty around the area that I saw the oil. Also, the number 4 spot on the head is very souty, along with the plug. This is new.

Comment

Bike ticking over like nothing's happened when you've pulled a plug lead isn't nec. anything bad. It could simply mean that the cylinders which *do* cause the donk to stall when you pull the lead off, are the "strong" cylinders.
                      It's actually an old skool tuning method. Find your 'strong' cylinder at idle, and slightly drop the slide for that carby.

Comment

Working...
                      X