Cam Chain Tensioner & timing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain Tensioner & timing Question

So long story short i've been rebuilding the top end to my 78 gs1000. It's the first time that i have done this. Ive got the timing marks lined and the cams in with the cam chain around it. Problem is... When i put the cam chain tensioner in, it turns the crank a hair and the TDC mark is no longer lined up. Question is: Should this TDC (cyl1-4) mark still be lined up exactly once the cam chain tensioner is applied? Is it normal that it moves a little like this?

If it's only "a hair", it's not a problem.

Before you button things up, double and TRIPLE check the count between the #2 and #3 marks.

It catches a lot of people that the pin over the #2 mark is your #1 pin, not the one next to it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When you let the tensioner out, it takes up the slack on the back run of the chain. Yes, this may move the crank.
      Once it's in and locked it should be possible to realign the marks at the crank end and check that the marks on the cam sprockets are correctly aligned - #1 level with the head face and #2 and 3 the right no of pins apart.

Comment

Note pins ,note slots on camshaft ends

image.jpg
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have it all set up correctly with the 1,2,3 marks on the cams and the number of 20 pins from marks 2&3. The only thing that I don't have in it is the front cam chain guide but I feel like that shouldn't make much of a difference on the crank turning from them tensioner. I can release the tension on the tensioner by turning the large knob and turn the crank to get the timing marks close but it still seems to be off when I rotate the crank a few revolutions.

Comment

Working...
          X