Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1150 crank, clutch basket and starter clutch in an 1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 crank, clutch basket and starter clutch in an 1100?

I just got all the above mentioned items. Is there anything else I should know about dropping these into 1100 cases? I'll have the basket welded.
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

You'll also need 1150 pistons with 20 mm wrist pins.
    2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
    1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
    2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
    s)

Comment

Hmmm, Well I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have one of my own.

What is the benefit/difference of the 1150 crank over the 1100? And why would you "need" the 1150 pistons if you're not changing the jugs?
      Are they the same bore, just different stroke? in that case, shorter pistons? Just curious is all...
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

The pistons for the 1100 have smaller wrist pins. The 1150 crank has a bigger left end, so it's less prone to breaking off. It's also welded after its pressed together, so it can't twist.
        1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Yep, you need the 1150 pistons because the rod small ends on the 1150 crank uses larger 20mm wrist pins instead of the 18mm pins on the 1100e.
          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

it looks like I can still use the 1100 cylinder? The bore size can go to 1166.

Comment

1166 isn't very common for the 20mm pins.
              an 1150 cyl. would be the ticket...could go 1198 turbo pistons and have plenty of wall thickness left.
              let me know if you need one.

Comment

Could you pm me a price. Will my 1100 head work?

Comment

1100 head and cams will be fine for your application.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                    Hmmm, Well I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have one of my own.

What is the benefit/difference of the 1150 crank over the 1100? And why would you "need" the 1150 pistons if you're not changing the jugs?
                    Are they the same bore, just different stroke? in that case, shorter pistons? Just curious is all...
                    I dont think anybody answered your question. There is no benefit to the 1150 crank unless you want to go bigger than 1166 cc. I don't believe 1229 is a standard size zip ston for the 1100 crank:

Comment

Pretty sure you can use oil cooled gixxer pistons as well but I have been known to be wrong.

Comment

John, call me. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
                          I just got all the above mentioned items. Is there anything else I should know about dropping these into 1100 cases? I'll have the basket welded.
                          Virgin core, new 493 rods, all new bearings, welded, with SC 1100 gear. Never used the larger tooth gears or the 750. Last thing I would do is swap out my used 1100 crank for an unknown used 1150 stock crank. Call FBG and see who's doing cranks.

493.JPG

Comment

Right is a stock welded up basket, center has an aftermarket thicker backing plate and 1100 SC gear, left is billet with thicker backing plate and 1100 gear. Left is what you want.

baskets1.jpg

Comment

Stock GS with billet shaft, 2nd and 3rd. Pro cut, notice damage....

gs_5s_full_funny2.JPG

Comment

Working...
                              X