Help Finding Quality Feeler Gauge Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Finding Quality Feeler Gauge Set

Looking for a quality, stainless steel, feeler gauge set. I've found a few sets of metric gauges on Amazon from 0.02mm to 1.0mm for about $8 (Here) but that seems awfully cheap for precision gauges. I also found a set by that is in inches, but also has metric equivalent, from .001" to .025" (.015mm to .635mm) for about $25 (Here) that is getting pretty good reviews and someone actually mic'd them within a tenth (GOOD). What do you guys think?

This is what I use. They are not metric nominal but I've never found that to be a problem. Unless the .0015" feeler passes, I change the shim.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have gotten my feeler gauges from the local auto parts store and never felt the pain of a high price. $6.99, with feelers from 0.0015" to 0.025".

I don't think that high-priced ultra-precision will do any good here. When you change a shim, you are changing by 0.05mm or about 0.002" at a time, so ultra precision is not necessary.

Some of the purists will demand that you get metric feelers because the bike was built to metric specs, but clearance is clearance. As long as you have enough, it doesn't really matter how you measure it.

Feel free to take advantage of the offer in my sig. It works with either inch or metric specs.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, I think that's the winning answer there. Already have your trusty spreadsheet too, thanks!

Comment

Bought mine from Mcmaster -Carr,if its made on this planet they have it,good quality products

Comment

I got these from eBay for $4 and they're quite good. If you pay more, you can get them from a U.S. shipper. Yes, they're made in China but they're built well and I've measured them to be accurate within 0.003mm. (E.g., more than enough for a valve job.)

I prefer metric feelers not because I'm a purist, but because it just makes the job easier if you only have one measurement standard to worry about.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
              I got these from eBay for $4 and they're quite good. If you pay more, you can get them from a U.S. shipper. Yes, they're made in China but they're built well and I've measured them to be accurate within 0.003mm. (E.g., more than enough for a valve job.)
              I bought the same set from eBay. These helped get my valves back in spec successfully:-)

Comment

I prefer to get metric feelers simply because it's one less thing to get confused about. But obviously, either will work.

Anyhoo, most any moto shoppe will have a black and red display of Bikemaster tools and sundries. On this display, you'll find a very nice set of metric feelers in the correct size range.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I prefer metric feelers not because I'm a purist, but because it just makes the job easier if you only have one measurement standard to worry about.
                  I have the same, no issues with them, my other set did not read below 0.05mm so these were just the job, on another note while doing the shims on my zepher 750 I measured the shim sizes using a set of digital verniers I have had for years, and used in the past with no issues when doing shims on my other bikes, don't know why this time but something just seemed wrong, I rechecked them using my micrometers, well there was a big discrepancy with the digital verniers, literally reading over a shim size higher than the micrometers, I did strip them down, cleaned up the copper strip, circuit boared etc, this brought them back within manufactures spec, but I won't trust them again.

Comment

Yep, that's exactly the same one I have as well. I like metric feeler gauges for the same reasons stated above. Keeps things simple. I may be cheap but it works just fine and the tolerances are pretty loose so accuracy is not critical.
                    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G View Post
                      I have the same, no issues with them, my other set did not read below 0.05mm so these were just the job, on another note while doing the shims on my zepher 750 I measured the shim sizes using a set of digital verniers I have had for years, and used in the past with no issues when doing shims on my other bikes, don't know why this time but something just seemed wrong, I rechecked them using my micrometers, well there was a big discrepancy with the digital verniers, literally reading over a shim size higher than the micrometers, I did strip them down, cleaned up the copper strip, circuit boared etc, this brought them back within manufactures spec, but I won't trust them again.
                      Only within the last year did I buy digital calipers, as the price was low enough compared to before. I still don't trust them that much, as they're made to a very tight price and one thing I've always been in the habit of is zero-ing any adjustable measuring device, so hopefully will catch out any discrepancy from these things. Having said that, they utterly transformed the job of shim measurement and made shim changing/swapping around so simple compared to before.
                      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                      X