Another Harbor Freight Engine Stand - What worked for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Harbor Freight Engine Stand - What worked for me

Well, after 300,000+ Miles on the GS1100EX the frame had too many cracks etc, so I had it completely stripped, welded, powder coated and then lost all but the engine at a local motorcycle warehouse that skipped town, should have kept better tabs on the parts.

Lucky for me, I found a 1981 GS1100EX frame with 30,000 miles on her that has been sitting in a garage for 11 years, after the maroon paint job. Here are some pics of the progress so far, been tinkering with the engine and had her soda blasted. Then added some Stainless Steel allen head hardware on the engine.

The stand works pretty well, and as the images in the Flikr link below shows, it is easy to rotate and access.

My carbs are cleaned up as well, just have to add the Stage 3 components to the 34 Mikuni CV's. Gas mileage back to the high 20's, low 30's again. V&H 4-1, Wiseco 1166 Piston Set.

Not a mechanic, but an Electronic Technician. I did learn how to use an hand held impact driver...worked pretty well.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-01-2014, 08:28 PM.

Question for you. If you are the original owner and the bike has over 300,000 miles on it and is 13 years old,
    what the heck does this translate into? "1981 GS1100EX bought new in Houston, Texas 10K-15K for 36 of the 40 years now"

Comment

Did an edit on the signature link, dyslexia has it's moments.

I was living in Wharton, Texas working for Schlumberger as a Open Hole Electronic Technician in 1981, and while in Houston saw the bike and purchased her for $4,000 I believe.

The engine has the mileage, along with the now missing frame. I purchased this frame from Jeff Pangerl in Mn, he has done some racing and an has a few in his inventory. The paint job turned a bit Maroon on them during the painting, and he just did not care for it, and let her sit.

The frame has been sitting in his work garage for 11-13 years after it was painted.

I bought it a year ago off from Jeff, in August 2013. An acquaintance of mine transported her in his pick-up.

Always had Paul Zabor of Zabor motorcycles in Austin Texas work her.

Only bike I have ever owned, been to Alaska, Colorado, California, Ohio, New York, Florida, Louisana, and most of all of the states getting to and from. Been to the colored states. The loops to California, Colorado, Ohio, Florida, New York and Alaska pretty much took care of most of the states.

Never did my own wrenching on her, always paid Paul to get her set up and ready to run. I like to ride, not wrench. Got my hands full now, no one in San Antonio likes working on bikes this old.

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVAWAWVWIWYlg.jpg
      Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2014, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X