Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS 1000 - Piston Sleeve sticking up to high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000 - Piston Sleeve sticking up to high?

Hello All,
    I have a 1978 gs 1000E; it has approximately 50K on the clock. So I decided to overbore to 1100 (Ebay cuznimage). I had a friend bore the cylinders and they look really good! However we both noticed the sleeve on #4 is sticking up slightly higher from the cylinder surface than the rest of the sleeves, enough so that I can get a good grab with my finger nail.

What should I do? The sleeve is no longer loose enough that it will slide down easily...my friend said he really clamped it down when boring. Maybe what he was missing was a lil heat? Could a machine shop get this back in line for me? The cylinder has already been bored.

Thank you!

Mark
    Last edited by odl777; 11-04-2014, 01:52 AM.

The engine-building crew will chime in shortly, but I would guess that placing the block upside-down in an oven and warming it up so the block will slide down over the sleeve would work. What I don't know is what temperature it would take to do that.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I hope your friend didn't make the liner out of round when he "really clamped it down"...

Steve's idea is the easiest, cheapest fix. 200~300 degrees should be good enough. To be honest though, the compression of the cylinder studs when all assembled squeezes everything back in line (which is why engines can get away with lose cylinder walls). Esp. after torquing after that first heat cycle sorts everything out.

Comment

Your friend boring the cylinder most likely used too much pressure on the boring bar and/or hone and the cylinder heated up and now has slid up. The liner will go back down easily using a press. The heating thing as mentioned by Steve may work, but another liner may pop up during the process. You could try heating then removing the cylinder and tapping the offending liner down with a wood block or similar. Supporting the cylinder on a couple 2x4's might help during this process.

BTW, those cruiseimage big bore kits are remarkably cheap. Looking forward to your review.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          The heating thing as mentioned by Steve may work, but another liner may pop up during the process.
          Which is why I suggested turning the whole assembly upside-down.

When heated, the block will expand and drop over any liners that are not flush with its top (now on the bottom) surface.

Allow it to cool before turning it over, of course.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

WOW! thank you everyone!!! Great information and such a quick response!!!! I am going to ask a friend if he still has his press otherwise its to the oven with these bad boys.

When I took the cylinders I noticed number 4 sleeve was slightly protruding. I was hoping that when he bored them it would slide back down the cm or so its is sticking up. Unfortunately this did not occur.

Is it possible that it could have got some dirt in between the sleeve and the block...which is keeping it form easily sliding back down?

Thank you all!!!!

Mark

Comment

not likely. Mostly it slid up when being cut or even might have been like that from the factory if it managed to seal and passed QC.

Comment

Originally posted by odl777 View Post
                I noticed number 4 sleeve was slightly protruding. I was hoping that when he bored them it would slide back down the cm or so its is sticking up.
                Quick question: Which one of the bolded statements is true?

I would not call a centimeter of protrusion "slight".

In fact, I think that most engine builders would not allow a millimeter, let alone a centimeter to stick out.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

I havent actually measured it..but I can get a pretty good bite on it when scraping my fingernail across the surface. so maybe more like a Millimeter so. I can tell you it is visible when just looking at it. Ill try to get a pic

Comment

A centimeter is almost half an inch.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Metric system fail.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWhut? View Post
                        Metric system fail.
                        No, metric system comprehension fail.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Good point! I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. I guess I wasn't haha.

Comment

They will normally stick up 2 or 3 thousands. heating the steel sleeve during boring wont normally extract it unless the hone hooked up and it was jerked up.

To be sure they are seated tightly to the shoulder in the jugs, I would remove them and clean the seats and the under sides of the sleeves shoulder. To do this, place the jugs in the oven at 350 sitting on the head side. Periodically reach in with a rag and grip the bottoms and see if they will move. once they move, remove the jugs and take out the sleeves. let them air cool..DO NOT hit them with water etc ect.

Once they are cooled you can handle the parts to clean well.

Reassembly.. Stick the sleeves in the fridge for about an hr before you prep the jugs. this will CONTRACT the steel. Next, place the jugs back in the oven at 350 for the same amount of time it took for the sleeves to get loosened. This will EXPAND the aluminum. Place the jugs up on some 4X4s ( or whatever will allow the sleeves to dangle freely from the bottom ) and seat them. Next, place something very flat across the top of the sleeves to hold them down and let it all cool.

The whole process is nothing more than a expansion Versus contraction fitting together thing.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thank you Chuck! Nice write up! I am gonna try this tomorrow when the wife is at work

Comment

Working...
                              X