Checking out a non runner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking out a non runner.

Any suggestions on what to look for on a non-running GS1100 and/or Bandit 1200. Plan on pulling plugs and doing compression test, checking oil for water, maybe pulling exhaust to look in ports. Any other critical but relatively easy to access areas to look at?

Flashlight down the gas tank for rust. Bolts from the exhaust to engine { if any are broken } leaking fork seals. None of these are insurmountable but they aren't ten minute jobs either and could be used for negotiations.....
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

I paid $400 for a non running 82 GS1100GL with 13,250 miles and that inc delivery. it sat for many years and doing some major work on it but learning in the process. Check what was mentioned and that will help you neg a price, I wouldn't jump at the first price and neg if possible.

Comment

thanks for the quick responses. Really concerned about engine/trans issues over other parts. Any way to inspect clutch and crank bearings?

Comment

Not without tearing it down and doubtful he would let you into it, I know I woudn't. Best you can do is verify it's not frozen up and I wouldn't feel good about wrenching over a engine that has sat for years unless I had pretreated the cylinders and let sit for a few days prior. Good luck with it XR750

Comment

When dealing with a non-runner, the seller is typically looking to unload it because it requires work and he or she doesn't want to deal with it. Don't go too crazy with an inspection. Not only will you be (mostly) wasting your time, it could put the seller off as well. Bottom line is that if the bike looks like it's been fairly well taken care of, then it probably has been. About the only mechanical thing that would be a deal breaker to me is whether or not the engine turns over smoothly. Everything else is fairly easily fixable.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I can just about guarantee you that any non runner will have carbs that need overhauling and probably charging system problems. If its been outside you throw in a rusty tank too. The basic motor is pretty tough but its the rest that can get expensive even if you can do it yourself. A bike shop wont touch the carbs they will blow you out the door with a $500 price tag. It is a lot of work going through a set of carbs right too

Comment

Working...
              X