Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbie Jetting after Rebore

Gooday

Approx 4 months ago I fitted the V&H street megaphone to my 1982 GS 1100ez. I followed the V&H jetting recommendations of 122.5 for the mains and 47.5 for the pilots and removed air filter lid. I live in West Australia so mainly ride at sea level with a warm climate, the bike ran great with no problems. I really love the pipes and very happy with the purchase.

I've just had to do a top engine rebuild (2mm oversize) and the bike is now 1133cc , so it's basically the size of the GS 1150 engine. I referred to the V&H Jetting recommendations for the GS 1150 and swapped over to the larger main jets of 125.0 for 1 & 4 and 127.5 for 2 and 3. The V&H jetting recommendations didn't mention anything about changing the pilot jets so i left the 47.5's in from the 1100 jetting. The bike runs nice from about 3,000rpm up but can cough and splutter a bit when taking off and down low. My question is should i be using the stock 1150 pilot jets which are smaller then the 47.5's or should i be using a different size altogether. It seemed funny that V&H recommend a chang in the pilot jets for the 1100 but not the 1150, was this a mistake? The bike is completely stock in every other way. Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

Which needle jets are you using? Stock, Suzuki used different pilot jets depending on which needle jet along with different jet needles.
    I personally would just drop down to the 45 pilot jets and see if that cures most of the ills to begin with. Others will have some other options/ideas perhaps.

Comment

yes i'm using stock needle jets

Comment

Originally posted by carvan40 View Post
        Gooday

Approx 4 months ago I fitted the V&H street megaphone to my 1982 GS 1100ez. I followed the V&H jetting recommendations of 122.5 for the mains and 47.5 for the pilots and removed air filter lid. I live in West Australia so mainly ride at sea level with a warm climate, the bike ran great with no problems. I really love the pipes and very happy with the purchase.
        That's interesting (to me) because I bought my 1100EZ with V&H Street Megaphone with stock airbox with no lid. I thought it was just lost and planned on replacing it but went with APE pods instead (and rejetting). Runs great.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Come on guy's surely there's more people out there that can offer up suggestions.

Comment

They'll chime in, mate, give 'em a bit more time.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Do a plug chop when it is stumbling and see what you get, your lean I bet down low.

V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Have the carbs been synched yet ? If not do that first. Then Id try a 1/2 turn in on the mixture screws & see what it does and if its the same go a half out & see what it does. There are far smarter guys then me on here but that's what Id do. One of them will jump in soon with probably better advise. I don't think youre running on the main jets at that RPM

Comment

thanks i'll give that a try

Comment

Working...
                  X