Cardboard thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cardboard thermostat

Feeling a little frisky - thinking of trying the old "cardboard thermostat" trick today.

I'm figuring the only downside will be some whistling or other change in the sound I hear. It won't be pretty (cardboard and twist-ties).

If anyone's gone that route (it'll be temporary) and has any advice/stories...

Thanks.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Told you it wouldn't be pretty!

image.jpg

Hey - I can tuck a corner in behind the horn. Wish I hadn't gotten grease on my clean cardboard.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Bit of cooking foil would give it a more 'professional' look
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Nice "West Virginia Thermostat" Not sure why you would want to do that though? Is it that cold in New York?
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
          Nice "West Virginia Thermostat" Not sure why you would want to do that though? Is it that cold in New York?
          I rarely get to ride more than 15 miles. It ran too hot before the cooler, and, as soon as summer was over, it ran too cold on these short rides with the cooler.

Cooler stays. It's the "Jackie Gleason" syndrome - he kept a suitcase with clothes and cash in a bus station locker till the end of his life. "One day they'll find out I'm a phony, and I'll have to leave town."

I'm not one of those "sky is falling" types (the site's already got a major one). More of "Then Came Bronson". My bike is always gassed up and ready to go. One day I'll ride off, and I won't return...
          Last edited by Rob S.; 12-05-2014, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            Bit of cooking foil would give it a more 'professional' look
            Certainly help to waterproof the cardboard, I mean the thermostat. The corrugated thermostat, we'll call it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              Certainly help to waterproof the cardboard, I mean the thermostat. The corrugated thermostat, we'll call it.
              Hey we can do better than that.

How about - Ventilated double skin thermostat with Eco reinforced core and radiation shielding.
              97 R1100R
              Previous

Comment

Sounds like something that could be sold on E-Bay for $100.

Comment

I drove a Volvo 444 that had a galvansed plate in front of the radiator. The height was controlled by a chain running on pulleys over the top of the block through a hole in the centre of the dash and through a vee notch beside the temperature gauge.

If you want to sell these things I suggest making them in inch size only to cut down on tooling. I'll source some metric twist tie adaptors for the European market
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous

Comment

I am at a loss for even having an oil cooler in NY state to begin with. Few days that it does hit 95 still isnt hot enough to warrant one in my book. I take that off anything I get and trash them and Its regulaalrly well over 95 for extended periods down here. Even on a 100 degree day I havent seen the temp on the Cooley over 250..if that.

Now if I was in the Nevada dessert or something to that degree I might give one some consideration. these engines arent that fragile!!!
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      I rarely get to ride more than 15 miles. It ran too hot before the cooler, and, as soon as summer was over, it ran too cold on these short rides with the cooler.

Cooler stays. It's the "Jackie Gleason" syndrome - he kept a suitcase with clothes and cash in a bus station locker till the end of his life. "One day they'll find out I'm a phony, and I'll have to leave town."

I'm not one of those "sky is falling" types (the site's already got a major one). More of "Then Came Bronson". My bike is always gassed up and ready to go. One day I'll ride off, and I won't return...
                      My friend we must sit down for a beer sometime! I surmise your the nervous, anxious type maybe worrisome is a better term. Like I said in a previous oil cooler related thread you really don't need one anyway. Like Chuck Hahn just said, NY does not justify it. Now lets quit worrying about the 1100 and start focusing on fixing the Jets & Giants
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2014, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Fix the Giants and Jets, Scout??? Bet you have see Bigfoot in person too...LOL
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                          ....If you want to sell these things I suggest making them in inch size only to cut down on tooling. I'll source some metric twist tie adaptors for the European market
                          Metric twist ties looks exactly the same for the untrained eye.

But they are actually are a little shorter.
                          Daniel

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ine=1539562056

1973 Honda ST90
                          1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
                            My friend we must sit down for a beer sometime! I surmise your the nervous, anxious type maybe worrisome is a better term. Like I said in a previous oil cooler related thread you really don't need one anyway. Like Chuck Hahn just said, NY does not justify it. Now lets quit worrying about the 1100 and start focusing on fixing the Jets & Giants
                            Would temps approaching 300 worry you? I use dino oil (change every 2000 mile).

Now, about football: may we see some of your pics of Bigfoot?

Comment

Nope..I ran up I35 north out of Austin Texas on the Cooley on a 110 degree day. Temp, gauge hit just a little over the 250 range and in a few instances went a tad higher. I was running 80 MPH and using Rotella T 10/40 oil. Never a hickup or worry about if it was too hot for the engine to handle. The only thing I was worried about that day was ME!! Getting over heated and not drinking water is a killer for a man. I stopped and got myself a cold water about half way home that day!!

Up in NY i wouldnt worry about anything as long as I kept the oil changed regularly and changed filters as needed. That engine isnt gonna fail you.

EDIT..and its 75 miles from Austin to Temple TX just so you got the idea as to why I am not worried.

Comment

Working...
                              X