Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

79 gs750 Lots of oil leaking out of mysterious hole in engine!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs750 Lots of oil leaking out of mysterious hole in engine!!

My 1979 gs750 leaks a lot of oil when running after it warms up! I removed the clutch cover(don't know what else to call it) and noticed oil pouring out of this hole In the engine (see picture) I have no idea what is going on here. To make things more confusing my 1978 gs750 does not have a hole in this location!
    Please help me shed some light on this matter.

thanks
    Attached Files

The hole I'm talking about is just left of the black wire

Comment

Oil Leak

I've had issues with oil leaks on my 82/750T. I remember seeing a similar opening in the same area you describe. It's not an area that holds fluids...it's kinda near where my starter is located; probably a ventilation area.

Anyway, you'll have to clean up the area to discover where the leak is coming from. One of my threads identifies what I'm talking about.

I used q-tips and isopropyl alcohol to wipe out all the dirt/grime/oil from the area. Good luck with whatever method you use.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

That looks like the famous 'Mystery hole'. It drains the starter motor cavity and the most likely sources of oil are a failed o-ring seal at the business end of the starter motor if you are losing engine oil or the vent from the transmission on a shaft drive machine if it's gear oil.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Brendans the winner. Oil slopping around inside the stator cover is getting past the oring on the starter.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            That looks like the famous 'Mystery hole'. It drains the starter motor cavity and the most likely sources of oil are a failed o-ring seal at the business end of the starter motor if you are losing engine oil or the vent from the transmission on a shaft drive machine if it's gear oil.
            Thanks I'm going to run outside and open the starter trough to see if there's oil in there I never would have thought there would be a drain in there

Comment

Originally posted by montij View Post
              Thanks I'm going to run outside and open the starter trough to see if there's oil in there I never would have thought there would be a drain in there
              They run better when not submerged
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                They run better when not submerged
                Yea makes sense as I said my 78 gs750 has no hole there

Comment

Oil Leaks Among Us

Here's a good pic of the area I'm talking about...I'm still interested in this thread and I wanted to see the difference...8V vs 16V. The arrow shows the area which had a leak.

Ed
                  Last edited by GSXR7ED; 12-08-2014, 11:06 PM.
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                    Here's a good pic of the area I'm talking about...I'm still interested in this thread and I wanted to see the difference...8V vs 16V. The arrow shows the area which had a leak.

Ed
                    Is that the before pic Ed? Before I pulled those two bolts and put a little sealant on them?
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Preventative MX

Why, yes it is Bill. I'm actually thinking about bringing my bike down to JAX when I go home for the holidays.

I was just in Dover last week getting my daughter transitioned back home from Austin, TX. I took a look at some of the changes that happen when a bike is not properly set up for storage. It would be a good thread to start about, "what not to do when you park your bike for 6 months".

Anyhow, good hearing from you bud!

Ed
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                        Why, yes it is Bill. I'm actually thinking about bringing my bike down to JAX when I go home for the holidays.

I was just in Dover last week getting my daughter transitioned back home from Austin, TX. I took a look at some of the changes that happen when a bike is not properly set up for storage. It would be a good thread to start about, "what not to do when you park your bike for 6 months".

Anyhow, good hearing from you bud!

Ed
                        Oh oh, does that mean you got to start over on it? lol. Hope not, just flush out the carbs and tank. Should be good to go then. If not, then just ship it to me with a wad of cash and I'll have it ready for ya in time for Daytona! ~big smile~
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Ahhh Man!

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                          Oh oh, does that mean you got to start over on it? lol. Hope not, just flush out the carbs and tank. Should be good to go then. If not, then just ship it to me with a wad of cash and I'll have it ready for ya in time for Daytona! ~big smile~

Here's what needs to be done:

1. Replace Fork Seals/Boots
                          2. Replace Valve Cover Gasket
                          3. Rebuild Cam Chain Tensioner
                          4. 530 Conversion
                          5. Flush Carbs/Tank
                          6. Replace F/R tires

I have a friend who's offered to store my bike in his garage. The other situation would be to determine where to put my trailer since I'm on the second floor and can't put it in my apartment.

Ed
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                          X