1100 cylinder head on 850?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eil View Post
    Yeah, T means 1980 model year and X means 1981.

When they made the parts diagrams for the GSes back in the day, some (most?) were made to cover multiple years and even models with a single set of fiches. Less expensive, less redundant, than producing one set of fiches for every similar model for every year.

The parts sites on the Internet (like partsoutlaw) organize their bikes in this heirarchy:

* make (e.g. Suzuki)
    * type (e.g. Motorcycle)
    * year
    * model (e.g. GS850G)

Model comes below year because that's the easiest way to drill down through all the different bikes in the database. But one side effect of this is that if a fiche set covers multiple years, the same set of fiches has to be available in those two different years. You can check for yourself, compare the 1980 GS850G (model T) and 1981 GS850G (model X) fiches, they will be exactly the same, zero differences.

On top of that oddity, I've found myself that the parts sites are actually a pretty poor resource in terms of figuring out which models were available when. So far, this is the best thing I've found: http://thegsresources.com/gs_modelchart.htm

Aside from a bolt being added here or there, I'm not aware of any Suzuki GS mid-year model changes.
    Thanks for clarifying that. Given that information, then it's even more apparent that the 81 (X) model and on would not need to have the driveshaft, mounts nor bolts changed in order to transplant an 1100G engine into an 850G or 1000G frame as long as it's an 81 or newer model bike. Good information.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      And now to address the issue under the question: get the thing running right before farting around with engine swaps and suchlike. A bone-stock (stock airbox, stock carbs, stock jetting) GS850 that's running right is one of the more enjoyable engines you'll find on two wheels.
      This was my thought (kinda) as well.
      I LOVE my GS850 for all the things it does well- and there are many - including move me at higher speeds when I want to.
      It also moves me well at lower speeds, sounds great, delivers decent fuel economy, revs high, grunts low, balances nicely, low center of gravity, fun to ride reliable ....see what I mean ... ?

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
        This was my thought (kinda) as well.
        I LOVE my GS850 for all the things it does well- and there are many - including move me at higher speeds when I want to.
        It also moves me well at lower speeds, sounds great, delivers decent fuel economy, revs high, grunts low, balances nicely, low center of gravity, fun to ride reliable ....see what I mean ... ?
        I would have totally agreed until I rode my 1000G. The extra low end grunt is VERY noticeable. Can't wait to see how she runs with the 1100G engine installed.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
          After market camshafts work a treat. Whether it is a T or X model.
          Thats what I was wondering about. Where would I shop for some good cams?

Thanks for all the info so far. This site is amazing.

Comment

Here is one place, there are a few others out there that someone else will hopefully post. If you are diligent, you might be able to find a good used pair on Ebay or other sources for a better price.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
              What about the 750T? I thought that was a specific model and not a year.
              What year is that 750T?

That is a bit like talking about your 1100G. There is another letter after your G. In your case, it happens to be a "Z", making it an 1100GZ.

The 750T was only available for two years, '82 and '83. That would make them 750TZ and 750TD.

Take a look at GSR's Model Chart Page, it might help.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
                What about the 750T? I thought that was a specific model and not a year. It was like a cross between a G and a GL:
                http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-serie...articles.shtml
                You're right, the 750T is a separate model. But it was produced in 1982 and 1983, which Suzuki would have called GS750TZ and GS750TD respectively.

Using letter suffixes to denote the years is altogether confusing. I could speculate on why Suzuki did it, but I only have guesses. For those of us living in the present, it much easier to just drop the model year letters in normal conversation but keep it in mind when looking at parts fiches and service manuals.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                X