piston pin snap rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

piston pin snap rings

I'm replacing the rings on my GS550m but wasn't planning on removing the pistons from the con rods. Should I replace the piston pin snap rings anyway while the head is off?

If you're not removing the Pistons (or the clips) then there's no need to replace the clips.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

However, if you do take them off, don't re-use them. They're a one-use-only type of flimsy design.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yes, replace them if you remove the pistons. If not, leave them.

In fact, I'd say you'll want to go ahead and remove the dang pistons -- it's much easier to clean them properly off the engine. The snap rings are really cheap.

In fact, you could technically get away with only replacing four (how's that for epically cheap?) -- you only have to remove one snap ring to get a piston pin out.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Bear in mind that if they've been off before someone could have reused old ones or made a mess fitting replacements so they are worth checking out to see thay are sitting in there properly.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

be aware that the pins may act like there welded to the con rods...seen it many times.
            very few just push out with your finger and may require a pin puller.

Comment

I've never had any issues or had to resort to pullers to remove piston gudgeon pins, with the circlip removed, a cloth wrapped around the piston soaked in VERY hot water will expand the aluminium and provide enough clearance for the gudgeon pin to slide out with being pushed with a hand based digit;
              £1 of false economy versus a another new gasket set, rebore, new pistons and rings, new gudgeon pin circlips, time and effort; methinks the choice is clear, I'd fit new circlips without a shadow of doubt.

Comment

They were my thoughts also on false economy and as luck would have it I have a spare 8 or so "hand based digits" pending the need for cranial stimulation due to cognitive discord from a stuck pin. :-)

Comment

Working...
                X