Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork seals

Hi all.

I am replacing the front fork seals on my 1979 GS850. I have read the manual and several other instructions however there seems to be some confusion regarding which way the springs should be inserted into the tube. Should the narrow end be up or down. Help appreciated.

regards. Chris.

Narrow end should be down (IE: tighter wound coils to the top)
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

If they're the stock springs, the proper method is to deposit them (either end down) into the nearest trash can or metal recycling bin after ordering a proper set of aftermarket springs.

With progressively wound or dual-rate springs, I always put the more tightly wound end up so they'll displace the oil at the bottom a little less.

No idea what you mean by the "narrow" end.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks. All back together.

Comment

Working...
        X