Replace valve cover gasket, 650E engine question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace valve cover gasket, 650E engine question

I'm day dreaming about buying parts. The Parts outlaw website lists two different gaskets and also states and engine number. How do I know which part to buy? The bike is in my grandpa's workshop and not close at hand

Put the year in your signature so we know more about what you have.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

They have an engine serial number break due to the different amount of bolts holding the cover on.
      Count your bolts and compare them to the total number of bolts needed for each gasket if you cannot read your serial number.

Comment

Beware- some parts fiches are reversed. The later cam covers had an extra cover bolt at cam chain tunnel on front. You'll need to look at yours to be sure.this pic shows the earlier cover without the extra bolt
        Attached Files
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Source For Parts

You can also call PartsOutlaw...I dealt with them ALOT while I was on the road in New Mexico.

Mike is a real good Manager out there. They sent me the wrong gasket and corrected the problem. The one on the right is the right one.

Ed
          Last edited by GSXR7ED; 12-16-2014, 10:15 PM.
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Scouring the web now for things I need, just got paid My bike in an 82' 650E and gramps took a look for me and verified it does NOT have the extra hole at front of cover. Aftermarket with this part or should I stick with OEM?

Comment

Use OEM , they don't cost much more. Note that camcover bolts are only tightened to 6 to 8 ft-lbs- gramps probably doesn't have a torque wrench that goes this small reliably and don't be convinced otherwise or you'll be stripping threads and/or leaking oil!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X