Are these GSs really that Cold Blooded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these GSs really that Cold Blooded?

So, just exactly how cold blooded are these old girls?

My recently restored '83 GS650GL has been sitting in the garage unstarted for over a month in fairly cold weather (in the 30s most nights). So the engine is stone cold to the touch. (Yes, I've got Stabil in the tank.)

She really doesn't want to start in that condition. In warmer weather a couple months back she would start up and run at fast idle with the choke all the way on, no problem. Not now. When I started her last time with a stone cold engine I ran the battery nearly all the way down before she would finally stay running with the choke on. She would fire and stutter for a bit, fire and stutter for a bit, etc., until she finally kept running at fast idle with the choke on. I took a looooong time for her to warm up enough to slide the choke off and stay running at about 1,000 RPM.

Just tried her again this week and I ran a fully charged battery down to nothing and still no start. Can figure this one out. She was starting fairly easily and runs strong once warmed up in warm weather.

So, are they just that cold blooded, or is something else up?

Should I try some starter fluid sprayed into the intake (filter removed), or is that a bad idea?

Thanks for any advice.

Valves properly adjusted? Tight valves & cold combo are probably the culprit since your using a full charge battery

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
      Valves properly adjusted? Tight valves & cold combo are probably the culprit since your using a full charge battery
      Yup, valves checked and adjusted. All within spec.

I actually logged a total of 116 hours to this restoration over a period of 11 months. 20 hours alone in the carb tear down and rebuild. They were nasty. Bike was sitting in a garage since 1993. I'm pretty sure that everything mechanical is as it should be.

Makes you want to say Hmmmmmm???

Comment

You have too many bikes and this 650 wants more time with you!
        Seriously, if you know valves are OK and your battery doesn't fall flat during cranking, it comes down to "choke" circuits not delivering. Maybe they didn't get fully clean or ain't being actuated enough.
        first two years with mine, even in 70 degree weather, it wanted full choke . Off for two hours after riding, a restart also required choke - not any more. I figure that idle circuits were not totally clean, but eventually they cleaned up with running.
        Try running more stabil at all times, it just might help eventually.Lately, I use stabil at all times and bike seems happy! Use the marine formula Stabil- it's a better product and 8 ounce treats 80 gallons of gas.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          ... Seriously, if you know valves are OK and your battery doesn't fall flat during cranking, it comes down to "choke" circuits not delivering. Maybe they didn't get fully clean or ain't being actuated enough...
          Thanks Tom,

I know for sure that the choke circuits were cleared and clean during the carb rebuild. But I did not think about the possibility that the choke linkage is not fully actuating the choke mechanism!

I'm pretty sure that I reconnected the choke linkage correctly, and I can see the rod move sideways when the choke lever is pulled back. But, I have not tried grabbing a hold of that rod when the choke is on and seeing if I can pull it open even more.

I'll check that tonight when I get home.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Just a thought, but have you tried running it with the pet cock on prime when you initially try and start it, just to rule out any fuel starvation problem, I know the fuel in my bowls tends to evaporate a little over a period of time when not being used.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G View Post
              Just a thought, but have you tried running it with the pet cock on prime when you initially try and start it, just to rule out any fuel starvation problem, I know the fuel in my bowls tends to evaporate a little over a period of time when not being used.
              My thoughts exactly. In the warmer months were you starting it up more frequently, before much evaporation ocurred?
              https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
              1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I third the prime setting. Even in warm weather they start hard if having sat a few weeks in the storage unit. I just turn them to prime as I am backing one out and by the time I am ready to fire it up the carbs are refilled. Works every time.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

PRIME SETTING ! ! !

Great idea! I'll give that a try.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Comment

Just don't leave it on prime on the stand and walk away. Not that you have leaky float needles but just in case your crankcase does start taking on fuel. 30 seconds tops should do it.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Another one for the Prime process - it affects my 850 too ... If I don't ride it for several days....

Comment

I'll add to the "prime" consensus. I have to do it on my 1100GK after a couple of days too. However, my GK hates to start in the cold too.
                        Let us know if that did the trick!

Comment

If that doesn't do it, I would check the voltage to the coils. Voltage drop to the coils can be exacerbated by cold weather, and the high cranking amps to the starter and lowered battery power.

Yes, they are cold blooded. They need to warm up some before they run well without the enrichener circuit. Not sterting is another matter entirely. They are not supposed to be hard to start.
                          Last edited by 850 Combat; 12-18-2014, 12:02 PM.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Even if that does do it, check the voltage to the coils. Cleaning kill switch, ign switch and all related plugs transformed mine to first push of the button even in 40F ambients and eliminated what I thought was a fuelling problem.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                              Even if that does do it, check the voltage to the coils. Cleaning kill switch, ign switch and all related plugs transformed mine to first push of the button even in 40F ambients and eliminated what I thought was a fuelling problem.
                              yep kill switch is always worth a clean up regardless of any issues, mine started no probs but fior what ever reason I stripped it, glad I did sooner or later it was going to play up, it was almost green in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X