Are these GSs really that Cold Blooded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris G View Post
    yep kill switch is always worth a clean up regardless of any issues, mine started no probs but fior what ever reason I stripped it, glad I did sooner or later it was going to play up, it was almost green in there.
    Guys,

Wouldn't a dirty kill switch make the engine crank really slowly even with a fully charged battery?

My bike cranks fast and long... she just won't start.

Even so, I'll open up the handlebar cluster and clean the kill switch.

Thanks for another possible cause. I appreciate it!

Comment

If the prime doesn't get it try fattening up the idle mixture by 1/2 turn or so. Adjust the pilot screws using George's procedure. Can't hurt anyway.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by WingMan71 View Post
        Guys,

Wouldn't a dirty kill switch make the engine crank really slowly even with a fully charged battery?
        No. The starter motor current doesn't go through the kill switch. It's relayed and in my experience a relay can live with dirty switches to a far greater extent than coils can.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I'm in for the Prime setting too. Mine wouldn't start if sat for several days. But after I cleaned my carbs and adjusted the float height it was much better but still if sat for say a week or two or more it would need to be primed first.

Comment

OK, I found something interesting.

The choke cable is NOT adjusted correctly. When the choke lever is pushed all the way on there is still between 1/4" and 3/8" of travel left in the horizontal choke activation rod ! ! ! Duh ! ! !

I'm sure I had it right when I put the carbs back on. BUT, since then I swapped out the awful "GL" pull-back handlebars for bars from a standard "G" model. So, I had to remount both handlebar control housings on the new handlebars, which required a little bit of re-routing.

I'm guessing that's when the choke cable adjustment got hosed. At least that's my excuse.

It's my last day of work today before taking Christmas week off. So, this weekend I'm gonna readjust the choke cable and try again.

I'm hoping this might be the fix!

Thanks for all the brainstorming. I'll report back when I get the choke readjusted and give her a crank!

Comment

While you are in cable mode have a look at what the clutch cable is doing between carbs 1 & 2. I got it wrong and it managed to hold the throttle open a bit.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

It's ALIVE ! ! !

YES!

SHE'S ALIVE ! ! !

Turns out it was the choke cable. There was still about 3/8" of horizontal travel left in the choke activation rod when the choke lever was pushed all the way to the on position.

I managed to get those adjusting nuts loose and adjust the cable properly without taking the gas tank off. Not easy to reach.

Pulled the choke all the way on, also put the petcock on Prime, and cranked her about 5 or 6 times. On the next crank she fired right up on fast idle. Yeah!

It did take about 4 to 5 minutes of sitting in the driveway running her at various fast idle speeds with the choke on before she finally warmed up enough to stay running at 1,000 RPM with the choke fully off. I guess that's about normal.

Went for a short ride in the 47 degree weather with my summer jacket on. A bit nippy!

Seems I need to adjust the clutch cable now as well. Thought I had her set according to the manual, but the clutch catches way too far out away from the handlebar.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR BRAINSTORMING THIS FOR ME AND GETTING HER RUNNING!
                Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2014, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X