GS1100L shaft replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100L shaft replacement

hi all newbie here and new to shafties too, ive just aquired and 82 gs1100l needing work on the shaft. ive yet to strip it back, but im looking for a workshop manual for it if anyone has any links?

im also looking for an exploded diagram for the entire set up for the drive just so i dont brake anything. ive been told that the part needing replacing is the engine side before the u-bracket of the shaft.... (the pig of a job area im told)

so any help would be great, thanks

Mick

First of all,

Second, there might be some good news. You might not need a shaft.

There is a known issue with the splines in the rear wheel in the '82 models.
    Remove the rear wheel, look at the ring that you can see inside, to check the color.
    If it is GOLD, it is the weaker splines and is probably the culprit.
    You can remove the splines to check the wear, it's hard to see the wear until you do so.

For a manual, check out our library, otherwise known as "BassCliff's site".

Lastly, may I suggest that you put your location in your profile? There might be a member close enough to help.
    While you are changing your profile, feel free to also add a signature that shows what bike you have and are working on. That will save you trying to remember to mention it every time you ask a question.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks steve,
      no its defiantly the shaft. i got the bike from my father in law who has welded a part of it a few years back but its gone again, ive showed him a photo of the shaft i found on ebay but hes not 100% sure wether he welded before or after the u section, he thinks its the awkward side hence handing it over to me who has more time to work on it.

ill sort my profile now too.

Comment

Can you post some pictures of this damage please when you get the chance?

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
          Can you post some pictures of this damage please when you get the chance?
          it will be tuesday before i get to start stripping it back to see it myself ill take a few then so i can get all the help i need

Comment

Working...
          X