Looking for a GS gear head.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    You are going to have to extensively rejet the carbs to run with pods. A Dynojet kit is highly recommended. Don't use those crappy Chinese pods either. Get some real K&N's or some pods from APE. Pods let more dirt through to your engine so know that up front as well.
    Yea I figured that I will have to rejet the carbs. The PO had a dyno jet kit but once I got the "magnito" fixed it wouldnt start without starting fluid so I was safe to assume that the dyno jet kit used was used incorrectly. So I will be getting a new dyne jet kit to go with the carb rebuild. Its the sync of the carbs that worries me. The pods, well I don't know the brand they came with the bike. I will be looking into getting some decent ones once the motor goes back in the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      Jake, feel free to call me at 714--356-784five. I build 1100 & 1105, 16 valve engines all year long. I can answer just about any question you will have about these engines & tell you what you need to do to make them live & make great power.
      Ray.
      Thanks Ray, as soon as I get the engine up on my work bench if I have any questions I will drop you a line. You wouldn't happen to have a guide on valve adjustment? Nothing I have ever done before...and these other fellas are telling me that the valves will need to be adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by Stockis4bitches View Post
        Yea I figured that I will have to rejet the carbs. The PO had a dyno jet kit but once I got the "magnito" fixed it wouldnt start without starting fluid so I was safe to assume that the dyno jet kit used was used incorrectly. So I will be getting a new dyne jet kit to go with the carb rebuild. Its the sync of the carbs that worries me. The pods, well I don't know the brand they came with the bike. I will be looking into getting some decent ones once the motor goes back in the frame.
        Not starting without ether doesn't sound like a kit problem. Sounds more like the carbs are still clogged or you're trying to start it with the throttle open. Easy to verify if the Dyno Jet kit is correct. Check all the jets and post back what the numbers are. I wouldn't jump into buying a new kit until you've verified that the carbs are clean (no blocked passages) and the kit you have installed is the correct one and installed correctly.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Jake, where in Cali are you? I am 3 blocks from Disneyland. Easiest for me is to just call.
          Ray.

Comment

Jake, where in Cali are you? I am 3 blocks from Disneyland. Easiest for me is to just call.
            Ray.
            Im up in the palmdale area. about an hour and some change from you. I am going to be ordering some gaskets, once they get here I will get in touch with you.

Comment

What gaskets do you need? I may have them.
              Ray.

Comment

What gaskets do you need? I may have them.
                Ray.
                I need the valve cover gasket, neutral position switch gasket, oil pan, clutch cover (one with the oil sight glass), and the stator cover gasket. and would you happen to have two valve cover bolts?
                Thanks man
                Jake

Comment

I have all of those except the valve cover gasket, depending on what year yours is. There are 2 different length valve cover bolt so I need to know which ones you need. Also, you have 4 Phillips head valve cover bolts that use a seal washer, do you have those? Want to do a road trip this week? I am off all week.
                  Ray.

Comment

I will check the length of the bolts tonight, I don't have the seal washers for the valve cover. I have a 1981. Not sure if the motor matches the year, every thing I have found says it is. I wish I could make a trip down there, we were just off all last week. I am working all week except new years day and thats my anniversary, my wife might just kill me if i told her I was going to pick up parts. haha. I will gladly paypal you for them and the shipping.
                    Jake

Comment

I will be around this weekend too Jake if you guys want to make day of it to Orange County or the beach or something.
                      Ray.

Comment

Ill shoot you a private message and we can work something out.

Comment

I sent you a private message but not sure if it went through because it wasn't in my sent mailbox. Im not to tech savvy when it comes to forums.

Comment

Working...
                          X