No announcement yet.

Valve clearance is way to big

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never noticed any real stress on the zip tie I used. It was a quick and easy way to do the job and I don't really want to spend money on a tool I might use twice in my life, if it didn't get lost in the shuffle. If you do a lot of it, the tool would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
      Having never owned a 2 valve Suzuki, im ignorant on the whole zip tie vs. factory tool method. Is this to fish out the shims?

Regarding the spark plug opening....After losing a nut into the cylinder many years ago, i ALWAYS keep them covered..
      So how exactly did you get the nut out?

Comment

Originally posted by hoburger View Post
        So how exactly did you get the nut out?
        I would imagine a small fleximagnet tool would do the trick

My mother was charged for superglue by her garage after routine service. Turned out they dropped a nut down a plughole and then put glue on the end of a stick to fish it out

What might they have done to free up stuck rings ?
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
          IIf some wish to save a few bucks and rely on voodoo, magic potions, snake oil or zip ties rather than buying the readily available tool, perhaps they should tell those engineers just where they went wrong because a member on GSR knows MUCH more than they did.
          And perhaps you should also write to them about their incorrect procedure for pulling an engine out of the frame?
          I saw your video, that was definitely not "by the book".

Originally posted by Scout View Post
          Why would a seemingly smart guy such as yourself recommend this hocus pocus method to GS diy'ers? To save a $20 bill?
          No, it actually saves a lot MORE than a $20 bill. I have never had that $20 tool work correctly for me, and it snapped off the side of the bucket when the shim was only part-way installed. The shim shattered, it took about half an hour of fishing through the oil puddles with a magnet to get the pieces out, then another major fraction of an hour assembling the pieces to see how much of the shim was still to be found in the engine. I simply choose to not repeat that ordeal.

Originally posted by Scout View Post
          I went to motorcycle tech school some years ago and the zip tie method was not covered as far as I remember.
          Come on, admit it. Do you do EVERYTHING exactly as you were taught in tech school? Surely you have found one or three things that you can do better by doing it a different way.

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
          I used a 6mm tie doubled over and noticed it starting to cut up after use.
          I have not measured my zip-tie(s), but I don't think they are any where near 6mm. 4, maybe 5, but not 6. A 6mm tie might be just a bit too wide, maybe even a bit too strong, which might not let it deform a bit when the valve closes on it. That could lead to creases in the tie, which would soon turn into cuts. A smaller, softer tie lasts a lot longer.

Originally posted by wymple View Post
          ... I don't really want to spend money on a tool I might use twice in my life, if it didn't get lost in the shuffle.
          How long do you plan on keeping your bike (or another 2-valve GS)? How much do you plan on riding it? The manual suggests checking clearances every 3-4,000 miles. Some of us put at least that much on every year, and keep our bikes for several years, so this is not a "twice in a lifetime" event. To add to that, I have four GSes in my own garage that I maintain, along with helping a few others in the area, so it is sometimes a "twice a MONTH" event.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve has always been quite helpful and when it comes to 2V clearance checks I'd ask no one else for help. Steve showed me his zip tie method first hand in person and have always had success. I also use his valve spreed sheet for every 2V GS I've had including my GR.
            Jedz Moto
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2002 Honda Reflex 250
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
            2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
            Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I bought the tool but had problems with buckets on 1 and 4- tool would slip off. Went to zip tie to finish. Assuming you made the right shim size pick, no need to worry about dislodging carbon (and getting bewildered) ,cuz it won't hang around long!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yeah, I'll be doing it again as well.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

No, it actually saves a lot MORE than a $20 bill. I have never had that $20 tool work correctly for me, and it snapped off the side of the bucket when the shim was only part-way installed. The shim shattered, it took about half an hour of fishing through the oil puddles with a magnet to get the pieces out, then another major fraction of an hour assembling the pieces to see how much of the shim was still to be found in the engine. I simply choose to not repeat that ordeal.

Come on, admit it. Do you do EVERYTHING exactly as you were taught in tech school? Surely you have found one or three things that you can do better by doing it a different way.

How long do you plan on keeping your bike (or another 2-valve GS)? How much do you plan on riding it? The manual suggests checking clearances every 3-4,000 miles. Some of us put at least that much on every year, and keep our bikes for several years, so this is not a "twice in a lifetime" event. To add to that, I have four GSes in my own garage that I maintain, along with helping a few others in the area, so it is sometimes a "twice a MONTH" event.

I am all for creative solutions to challenging issues. When I was still in the business I had plenty of "specially modified" tools for certain tasks but this zip tie method seems to be a solution where there is no actual problem. So far I have done someone else's bike once and mine twice now and yes it takes a learning curve of a few minutes but have never experienced any shim breakage. The suzuki 2 valve shim adjustment is in my opinion a better experience than the other shimmed bikes from what I remember of my early general training ( I ended up specializing/focusing in H-D tech)

Agree 100% on the valve adjustment comment. I have adjusted mine twice this year, once when I got the bike and after I rang up about 3,800 in a few short months. I think most riders don't ever do it at all and they just ditch them at 20,000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS2142147
                    They use the tie wrap between the valve and the valve seat in order to keep the valve open. That allows them to remove the shim and replace it without any other tools. The down side is it can pickup or dislodge some carbon from behind the valve which, as in this case, cause an incorrect reading of valve clearance. Doesn't effect the engine in the long run because the carbon will get blown away once the engine starts. Just makes it more difficult to ensure you're getting a true clearance measurement.
                    Now I see. Thanks. As far as zip ties go, ive found that the swap meet cheapo packs seem to suck and break easily.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hmmm.

Comment

Effortless. And in over thirty five years I have yet to break a shim. (Must be doing something wrong eh?)

Much EASIER than the nut/bolt 16V style for me anyway.

Comment

.......now I see even better.....Thanks.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I have the tool and trying to do the inside cylinders is very easy with it; however, 1 and 4 are always a pain in the arse to ensure I have the right sideways pressure on it. Fortunately, I have never broken a shim but I do sweat very hard every time it slips off.

I have also seen Steve use the zip tie and it looks very simple, I'm just not confident I can do it as well as he does so I'll still use the tool.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                              Effortless. And in over thirty five years I have yet to break a shim. (Must be doing something wrong eh?)

Much EASIER than the nut/bolt 16V style for me anyway.
                              Go ahead and pat yourself on the back, I have not been so lucky.

I will agree that it's easier than the 16-valve adjusters.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I DID have one slap down and squirt a drop of oil into my eye once if that will make you happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X