GS1100E rattle on deceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E rattle on deceleration

Looked at a 1981 GS1100E with 22,000 mile. Guy has been using a lot of ether to start it after it has sat for a while, has electrical issues so I figure that low voltage to the coils is the culprit there (thanks GSResources). One it was warmed up and would idle, rev it to 2k and it rattles on decel. Can hear it resonating in the exhaust, couldn't say exactly where it was coming from (no stethoscope, was supposed to be a "great runner, really nice"). held various exhaust shields, footpegs, etc. but no difference, sounds same on both sides, similar to a car when a muffler baffle is broken loose. Same noise with clutch engaged or disengaged. Starter clutch bolts? Cam or chain issues? Also had low oil ps light at idle until it warmed up, but wasn't low on oil.

Got a video to share?

Comment

Depending on what a lot of ether means I would be thinking of doing a wet and dry compression test sometime soon. Overuse has been linked to premature wear in the cylinder.
      I would open the oil filler and pull the clutch and make sure that the clutch basket is not moving out with the plates. The nut could be loose. In some cases this will result in a loss of drive to the oil pump with the bike upright, leaned right, clutch pulled or on the overrun when on the go.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I did not take a video. we were pretty far off on the price, so I walked. Seller called later, told him I would research some potential problems.

As for how much ether, enough to make me say stop, that's enough.

Comment

A loose baffle inside the exhaust will rattle on decel.

Comment

I've had that on several exhausts. Use a rubber mallet or your hand and bang on the mufflers. If you hear a rattle then that's the reason.
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
            X