"It was there yesterday!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"It was there yesterday!"

Isn't it funny when you have to look twice and rub your eyes, and think to yourself, "There's something missing here, and I can't put my finger on it"
    I had this motor in a Suzuki dealer, they stripped it and gave an appraisal that the gearbox cluster was needing replacing. Got the quote from the dealer and took it elsewhere to get the motor rebuilt.
    in the move from the dealer to the mechanic some parts went missing. No big deal, I replaced some parts with spares I had, and bought new parts when in doubt, goes with the territory.
    The motor was stripped, rebuilt and given back to me to continue the bike rebuild, with the understanding I'll bring the bike back when it was ready to be started and tuned.
    One slight problem.
    There's no points installed in the motor, WTF!
    I was adjusting the brake pedal and putting a stop bolt in the brake arm, when I looked across to the points cover and noticed no wires coming out of the bottom,curious and bewildered I opened the case thinking the mechanic might of bundled the loom in side. It's 1.07 am in the morning, and guess who will be getting a Message in the morning when he gets to work.
    Attached Files

signal generator aka trigger plate is missing.
    call me Mr. obvious

Comment

Gotta love attention to detail. Otherwise, what's the "point?"
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

There was a cam chain tensioner missing as well, and the dealer replaced that free of charge.
        I'm thinking the parts ended up on another bike, but for the mechanic not to notice or tell me just boggles the mind.

Comment

I am sure the mechanic noticed and is using the part elsewhere.
          Also like that he had to cut slots in the screws to remove them and then didn't replace them.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

We found it, the mechanic did a clean up and the plate plus a few other parts were in a plastic tray, gears for the oil pump, two cams and cam retainers that aren't mine, chrome caps for the end of the rocker covers, and nuts and bolts. Glad about that, a new excitor plate assembly is $320 for a new one. And apparently a Dyna Electronic set is about $500 (but I think he was guessing about that cost)

Comment

Look closer as there are probably more missing parts.
              And find another shop if you choose to go that route again.

Comment

Are you saying the shop was suggesting that if they hadn't found the parts they were going to pass the obligation of their replacement onto you?

I'd be finding a different shop, regardless...not cool, not one bit.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                X