Cam journals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam journals

Hello everyone, and happy New Year! Glad there are such forums like this one, thank you. I was referred by a fellow GS enthusiast to ask this community a question in regards to what I found when I was having my motor parts inspected and checked for proper rebuild. I found my cam journal cap for the intake on number 3 cylinder to have a bit of irregularity during inspection. There was no damage to the cam, the bike was running when I did the break down. The discussion was that this journal may have a lower oil pressure threshold than the other journals due to this irregularity. I am restoring this bike for sentimental value, and it is not going to be raced, nor is it my primary steed. Thank you in advance for your input on this.
    Attached Files

I would simply chamfer that little bit of metallurgical irregularity to keep it from spreading with a die grinder and call it good myself.
    Other members will offer their advice too.

Comment

Welcome to GSR. Please list your bike in your signature so other members won't need to ask what bike you're working on whenever you post a question. Also a good idea to list your location in your profile. There might be a generous guru nearby willing to lend a hand.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
        Welcome to GSR. Please list your bike in your signature so other members won't need to ask what bike you're working on whenever you post a question. Also a good idea to list your location in your profile. There might be a generous guru nearby willing to lend a hand.
        The location is already there, but we DO need a clue as to what bike it is.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

(Whoops) What does the model have to do with the repair/question? There are a few GSR members near Modesto. Perhaps some of you can get together for a ride sometime.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Nothing to worry about. De-burr it & run it again.
            Ray.

Comment

Sorry about that, the specific bike I am talking about is a 1986 GSXR 750. I used to own one about 28 yrs ago. I found one on Craigslist that was the same color, and still had the stock red color scheme like I had those years ago. Still working on navigating this forum. Bear with me.

Comment

I did not look close enough to notice that it was an end cap with one oil groove.
                For those interested, I just took a pic of some common GS parts. The left cam cap is typical for a 2-valve engine. The black one is for holding down the
                handlebar and the two on the right are typical 4-valve cam caps...

MLSR Pilot: You have a bear with you??? Do you take him/her with you everywhere that you go? Need a special permit to own one?
                Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2015, 05:05 PM.

Comment

This is what bad cam caps look like:

I would say as others have done; grind off the edge and put it back in.

As a precaution, I would drop the sump and check the sump filter (if the 750s have this like the 1150s do) and see if there is any metal stuff kicking about. That would give you a good idea of the condition of everything else.

From what I can see, I might suggest that this is not the oil starvation problem I had on my one but more like a part failure (metal fatigue?) or incorrect assembly procedures.

I am no expert but I share my own experience.

Greetings
                  Richard
                  sigpic
                  GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                  GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                  Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Ha ha! Hey thanks for the replies. I did some work on the cap posting a pic of where I'm at. Yep, I have a particular buddy who visits this page. This GSX used to be an old favorite of mine. The motor looks clean as if it were rebuilt, then simply parked. Motorcycles have been my long time passion, dabbled in racing motocross for years, trials riding, supermoto, enduro. I hope this bike feels as good in the twistiest like I remembered. I did take some other picks of the pistons and such to show the condition to wilmrx.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2015, 07:31 PM.

Comment

photo 1(2).jpgI have more pics.

Comment

Originally posted by MLSR Pilot View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]37691[/ATTACH]I have more pics.
                        Those pistons don't show much if any carbon at all. Perhaps you are right and it has low miles since a rebuild. Is that some form of penetrant or degreaser in the valve reliefs?
                        Is that bear still with you or is it in some kind of pen for the night?

Comment

Good job on the cam cap. Be careful not to over tighten the valve cover bolts when you reinstall or you will be learning the fun of 7mm x1.0 Helicoils too!
                          Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray. GSX, yep bear is in the back yard building a fire it's cold lol! Yes, that pick of the pistons is what I found when I slid the jugs off showing the liberal application of oil on the pistons. The main reason for the disassembly was due to a pretty bad oil seepage coming from where the cases split directly behind the exhaust header. At that point, disassembly was the only option to solve the leak. Going to hone the cylinder walls before re-assembly, and possibly rings if needed. photo(99).jpgThis is a pick of the bike right after I purchased it.
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2015, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Looks like a worthwhile project to me. Plans to hop it up a bit while it is apart?

Comment

Working...
                              X