No announcement yet.

Cam journals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to keep it stock. I picked up a complete NOS gasket kit for the bike about a year ago, then the stock exhaust, airbox, carbs, removed the rust from the tank, new petcock, It also came with a rear Fox shock which I also have a seal kit for that too. I have seen quite a few GSXR's, but always look beat, or weird color schemes. I found this one in Santa Cruz, at a guys motorcycle shop. He took the bike as payment for some work he did on an R-1. He basically had about seven bikes for sale, I was there for the GSX. My original bike in 1986 was stolen in broad daylight from my girlfriends apartment complex. We had gone to the lake for the day. I found my security chain cut, broken steering lock pieces, and a front tire mark where they had to drag the bike out to load it into a truck or something. So finding this bike, in the condition it was in, was like serendipity. My friends aren't too keen to the idea, as it is a dated bike I understand, but still something I want to do. Even with the bike torn down, I still find myself staring and marveling as I did when I had it before. This bike was like a big milestone for Suzuki at the time. Aluminum frame, air oil cooling, dual headlights, lightweight. Can't wait to get it running again in its stock form like the day when I walked up to it idling at the dealership. I never forgot that day.

Comment

I found a couple more issues with the bike. There is about 3/4in. of aluminum missing where the shift drum is located not good..... I can see that a shift fork was replaced, and found the most probable cause for the leak at case halves behind the exhaust. The ol classic hammer and screw driver gashing and shredding of both case halves, the bottom taking the worst of it. I am DIY person, I work on all of my own vehicles, finding this on any of my vehicles or projects makes me seethe with contempt and I have to walk away for a while. This may be speed bump. I will post some pics. Not sure how to post more than one per post?photo 1(3).jpg
      Last edited by Guest; 01-05-2015, 02:03 AM. Reason: can't upload a pic

Comment

photo 4.jpgNot sure how to post more than one pic at a time, but this should give an idea of the condition of the case. Any chance there is a way I can repair this to ensure a good seal? Possibly some JB weld type material that can fill the gouges, then file it down?

Comment

photo 5.jpgIts rough, and exactly where the leak was coming from.

Comment

hammer/screw driver with a couple hidden bolts still attached...i bet the one(s) back around the alt. area.
            that is a real bummer.
            i wouldn't try JB weld...not sure really.
            i have had small areas scarred and i always filed the surface and used yamabond on street engines..yes suzuki engines..lol
            i know yamabond works well so i stayed with it for all brands when splitting the cases.

Comment

You can get Zspar epoxy from Reher & Morrison Racing Engines in Arlington, Texas. You could probably get it elsewhere too. I buy it from them. It is what I use for changing shapes in intake ports & I have NEVER had any of it come loose. I use the Threebond 1207B for glueing all my case halves together & I'll bet it will fill those & not leak. I have used the 1207B for over 30 years & never had it leak.
              Ray.
              Last edited by rapidray; 01-05-2015, 04:13 AM.

Comment

I am waiting on rings, cylinders lightly honed, applied a two part epoxy that a motorhead buddy recommended for the case damage.Filing, emery cloth, fling, filing, and hours later filing the spots filled, I am ready to reassemble the case halves. but thank you Ray. Three Bond, and Yamabond are the choices for case sealing options at this point. I must say having this project in my shop sure is my steam blower for real life separation and peace. Willmrx and I both surmised that the motor was rebuilt at some point, ran, then began to spew oil from the case damage on the front of the cases, the exhaust was removed to inspect then the realization of the problem. Bike was parked. Exhaust was MIA when I purchased it and I didn't care... Before honing the cylinders, I noticed #4 cylinder had the rusty imprint of the oil ring where it sat for whatever time it did. Thanks again for the input guys.

Comment

Pilot, i found that to post more than one photo, and have it come out regular size is to upload the photo (s) to photobucket and use the img link for the photo and post it where you want the photo to show in the thread. When you select img in photobucket, the link will automatically be copied. Always preview your post before you submit to make sure the link works. You know it works when you see the regular sized photo.

Comment

Working...
                  X