Gs550e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs550e

Hi all I have a gs 550e 1980 with 13000 km on clock bike spending much of its life in Italy it's in very good original standard condition which rides very well but I have one issue with a slow knocking noise on tick over The noise seems to go when the engine is revved a little should this be a concern All thoughts great fully received Many thanks neil briscoe

Hi Neil. Does the noise go if you lean the bike over to one side or pull the clutch in?
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Strange just started bike again seems to have gone now I'll leave it tick over for a bit see if it comes back

Comment

Hello mate bike has warmed up a little and the slow pulse like knock it quite apparant and yes if I lean the bike towards the kerb side it seems to go Thanks for your thoughts

Comment

Which part of the engine is the noise coming from? If it's tricky to detect use a stethoscope (a bit of pipe is a decent substitute).

and did pulling the clutch in make any difference?
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

What was your theory on the noise going when the bike is lent to one side

Comment

Most likely cam walk.
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I believe what Hampshire is alluding to is that the clutch nut is loose as they all seem to eventually do it.
                Number 6 here needs to be checked, tightened with red lock-tite and the retaining washer refolded over.

Shop our large selection of Suzuki OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at 386-740-2452

Comment

Thank you very much will check it out

Comment

550 engine noise

Hi, Neil. Have a look at this old post of mine. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ne-noise/page4 But I will add that the noise is back again, so I am modifying another cylinder head to eliminate cam walk with brass shims on machined cam caps.
                    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot :eagerness: and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Working...
                    X