• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plain Bearing crank engine ?s

I just got a 1982 gs650L..and I understand it has the plain bearing crank

The bike has 11K on it

I read things all over the board on this

Yes it does, also has high pressure pump feeding those bearings. No need to worry, most cars use same scheme.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

A lot of other bikes had / have them as well. While they're not as indestructible as the roller bearing cranks they're still fine. Keep it serviced on time and properly (which is easy) and it'll probably outlast you.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Are those pumps still on the market? I know I open can of worms..Best oil for it? I was think Valvoline MC Oil 10w-40

Comment

At those low miles, forget about pump- your carbs will give you plenty of things to worry about. Have you see Basscliff's info warehouse?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Don't know anything about Valvoline MC oil, but the forum favorite is Rotella. Yeah, it's made for diesel engines, but it's also certified for use with wet clutches and has higher amounts of the additives that keep our bikes alive.

If you want to go cheap, stick with the 15w-40 T5 in the white jug, it's about $12 (per gallon) at Wal-Mart.

If you feel better with synthetic, go with the 5w-40 T6 in the blue jug, it's about $22 (per gallon) at Wal-Mart.

Regardless of what oil you prefer, just stay away from automotive oils that have "Energy Conserving" in the API 'donut' on the back label. That is not hard to do, as most of the oils with that label are 30w or thinner. Our bikes call for 40w or 50w, I have not seen any "EC" oil in those weights.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X