K&N Pods on 82 gs650L ?s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K&N Pods on 82 gs650L ?s

Bike Im getting this wkend has the K&N Pods stock pipes, dont know if been re-jeted or not..if not what do I get

And is KN Pods OK on this bike when jetted right

When jetted right, it will run nicely- determining if it has been rejected right could be challenging without carb removal.Did PO offer any assurances, or did he plead ignorance ? If pods were added recently, it might have been done out of frustration and you will have to sort things out!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

To see if it has been jetted, you will have to pull the carbs. Fortunately, it's not that hard with pods already there.

Stock main jets were 110. With pods on there, you would need something in the 120-125 range, unless a DynoJet kit has been installed, in which case it might have 128-136 mains. Please note that the jet numbers do NOT cross over directly, a Mikuni 120 is not the same as a DJ 120, so be careful which jets you are looking at. Mikuni jets will have their "double-square" trademark on them.

Yes, the K&N pods are very good pods, but make sure they are actually K&N. If they are, they will say so on the end cap (away from the carb). APE pods look a lot like K&Ns, and are about as good, but less than half the cost. The most-common pods out there are, unfortunately, the EMGO pods. They are really cheap, and are usually a nightmare to get them jetted correctly.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

IIRC, just a change to 120 mains and it will be near perfect.

Comment

Working...
        X