Look at these clutch spring spacers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at these clutch spring spacers...

Hey Folks, Replacing clutch plates and springs in my 83 GS1100E. Anyone know why these clutch spring spacers would be gouged like this? The other three look good. Just bought the bike so I don't know the history on it. Odometer shows 16k but who knows. Clutch is slipping at 5k rpm. Any chane these gouged spacers could cause it to slip? Was told it sat for many years. I bought OEM plates and springs before removing the old ones. After removing the old plates they seem fine to me. I'm good at replacing parts but not so much on diagnosing problems. My plan is to install the plates and springs and see what happens. The previous owner had used Amsoil motorcycle oil 10w-40 and I am planning to use the same thing. If it sill slips I will try something different. Appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

spacers1.jpg

Side load on the aluminum spacers partially caused by the weak factory bolts. I am having steel spacers made available along with stronger replacement bolts.
    If anyone is interested, they should contact me.

Comment

While you looking there, have a look at this post ....

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

That is normal for the aluminum spacers. I have seen MUCH worse. Steel just makes the clutch heavier & there is no issue with the spacers like that. Keep running them. If it bothers you, get some new ones & put them in.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

the spacers get beat up from millage and or clutch hand abuse.
            after market offers stainless spacers but as ray said..
            just install 6 nice used or new factory spacers and they should last the rest of the bikes life.

Comment

Working...
            X