X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cylinder head advice

I'm a cylinder head noob.

There... I said it.

I do Automotive repair for a living, so I'm no stranger to the inside of an engine. This is just my first time 'cracking' an aircooled engine.

I've developed an oil leak coming from the left (clutch side) front of the engine. I went through and built a (hopefully) comprehensive list of head gasket related parts to order for the job.

What im looking for, is a bunch of "hey stupid" and "dont forget" type stuff that someone who's done this before can point out. I'll be checking valve adjustment so no need to suggest it. Base gasket and related o-rings are also on the list.

Everybody ante up their 2 cents!

hey stupid...the clutch is on the right side.
    man that felt good...i hope you enjoyed it just as much as i did

Comment

Well, I suppose it depends on which direction you face. To me, the clutch lever on handlebar is on left side, meaning the actual clutch itself is on right side-so just where is this leak? And how many miles on this critter?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Clutch lever.

Spent 10 yrs in storage until '09

Comment

So the leak is on left side towards front,as in stator cover area, as opposed to secondary drive area?? If so, has bike ever fallen over on that side?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The leak is up higher at the valve cover/ head gasket level.

I'm wondering if I should get any timing chain related parts or are those parts really robust.

I've got a $400 budget including shipping.

I just want to open it the one time.

And yes two driveway "oopses" on that side.

TIA
            Last edited by four_shot; 01-22-2015, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Just make sure you buy OEM head and base gaskets. Be VERY cautious of cheap off brand gaskets in those areas.

Edit: And don't forget the half moon seals under the valve covers.
              Last edited by JTGS850GL; 01-24-2015, 04:05 PM.
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I'd definitely do the valve seals, clean valves, and give them a light lapping while its off.

Have fun removing that old base gasket!

Comment

Originally posted by matt1100 View Post

Have fun removing that old base gasket!

I second that. I had to use a chisel with a hone right beside me to sharpen it every minute or so. Suzuki doesn't screw around with cheap material in those...

Comment

I just got back in from 3 solid hours of trying to scrape the base gasket off the head of my 850. Holy smokes that is not a fun chore. And I'm not even done yet, the mating surface is still about 1/3 covered with the remnants that didn't scrape off easily. Fascinating that Suzuki chose a gasket material that is almost as hard as aluminum.

I'm off now to search the forum about the best way to clean this mess up because I know I must have skimmed dozens of threads about the process.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                      Just make sure you buy OEM head and base gaskets. Be VERY cautious of cheap off brand gaskets in those areas.

Edit: And don't forget the half moon seals under the valve covers.
                      This is what this thread is for.....I thought they were reuseable metal inserts

I'm buying all OEM parts. (Just to keep the "plus ones" and "what he saids" to a minimum.)

Does the head gasket pn 11141-49410 still require the o-ring? I've read several other threads stating no, but parts houses still list the o-ring as available.

Do I need to remove the breather cover to get the valve cover off?

This is a list of the parts I'm ordering, chime in if I missed something:

valve cover gasket
                      breather cover gasket (do I need this?)
                      half moons inserts
                      cyl head nut gaskets (callout #13 on parts fiche)
                      tach drive seal (callout #27)
                      tach drive seal (callout #28)
                      cyl head gasket (pn 11141-49410 )
                      o-ring (?)
                      cyl base gasket
                      cyl base o-rings
                      smaller cyl base o-rings
                      exhaust gaskets

clutch springs, (it's slipping)
                      clutch cover gasket

tach cable (been missing for years)

Comment

Your not really gaining anything by seperating the breather from the valve cover service-wise. It does, however, make getting the valve cover off easier on my 1100. You could do a lot more, it depends on how thorough you want to be....

Comment

Well if you need clutch springs, you might as well take the clutch apart and measure the steels and fibers just in case that is your problem with the slippage. The breather cover makes removing the valve cover easy. While you have the head off it would be a good time to replace the intake boot O rings and even the boots if they are hard...not really cheap though. It is also a good time to replace the valve seals and do a valve lap.

Just a couple thoughts.

V
                          Gustov
                          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                          80 GS 550 L
                          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                          2002 Honda 919
                          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by four_shot View Post
                            This is a list of the parts I'm ordering, chime in if I missed something:

valve cover gasket
                            breather cover gasket (do I need this?)
                            half moons inserts
                            cyl head nut gaskets (callout #13 on parts fiche)
                            tach drive seal (callout #27)
                            tach drive seal (callout #28)
                            cyl head gasket (pn 11141-49410 )
                            o-ring (?)
                            cyl base gasket
                            cyl base o-rings
                            smaller cyl base o-rings
                            exhaust gaskets

clutch springs, (it's slipping)
                            clutch cover gasket
                            Subscribed...I'll be doing this soon.
                            ----------------------------------------------------------------
                            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Charles - did you ever figure out how to clean up that gasket surface? I'm in the same boat w/ my GS750 and am stumped. Thanks.

Originally posted by eil View Post
                              I just got back in from 3 solid hours of trying to scrape the base gasket off the head of my 850. Holy smokes that is not a fun chore. And I'm not even done yet, the mating surface is still about 1/3 covered with the remnants that didn't scrape off easily. Fascinating that Suzuki chose a gasket material that is almost as hard as aluminum.

I'm off now to search the forum about the best way to clean this mess up because I know I must have skimmed dozens of threads about the process.

Comment

Working...
                              X