Oil Leak, Am I In Trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak, Am I In Trouble?

1980 GS750 16 valve model. Outboard (clutch lever side) most header bolt leaking oil when running and after running and then stops. Pulled bolt and pulled same outboard bolt on other side header pipe. Leaking side has much deeper orfice than non leading bolt hole. Is this bolt hole supposed to be open to head oil? Or did someone do something stupid with a too long of a bolt and maybe pushed into an area not supposed to be? New to this bike and engine so really in the dark. Do I have a problem? This model uses header retaining bolts instead of studs like I am used to. Thanks for your help.

It's possible someone may have drilled out the hole in a repair effort and drilled into an oil galley.

Buy some M6 studs and loctite them in. Then use nuts and washers like you are used to.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Also, it's possible you have an oil leak from somewhere else but it looks like it's from the exhaust studs because that's where the oil ends up when the bike is on it's side stand.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)

Comment

If the bike is on the side stand ( leaning over to the LEFT ) wouldnt the oil be on the stator side and not the CLUTCH side????
        In any case, I would degrease the engine and power wash it thoroughly. Spray it down with any anti fungal foot spray such as Tinactin or whatever. Start the engine and watch the foot powder and wherever ts weeping the foot powder will show the evidence right off. Re power wash the engine and get to the leak.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, I will try them and get back later on results.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            If the bike is on the side stand ( leaning over to the LEFT ) wouldnt the oil be on the stator side and not the CLUTCH side????
            He said clutch lever side.
            Current:

Past:

Comment

Working...
            X