case splitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

case splitting

So i'm about to split the cases on my 650g, and have a question. do i have to tear the top end off the motor, or can i just yank the bolts to split the cases? i'm only splitting the cases to see what's going on with 2nd gear, to see if it's the dogs on the main shaft or if it was like Will and it's the shift drum. but on the upside, it doesn't look like this motor has ever had to come apart since it left the factory. the gaskets were rather petrified, but still leak free. so there's that. this bike had been cared for.

on the big GS's you can service the transmission with the top end in tact.
    not sure on the 650's.....

Comment

ok, so the top end doesn't have to come off to split the cases. on a positive note, i think i found my issue. it's the 2nd driven gear on the lay shaft. the dogs on the gear are great, but there's a ton of slop with it on the lay shaft, and i'm seeing what looks like either copper or brass. i'll snap some photos and maybe a video in the morning. i'm also going to try taking it by a local shop and have the guy there look at it, since he has eons of experience with bikes, but i'm almost certain the 2nd driven gear on the lay shaft is my issue.

Comment

here's a video of what i found:

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
          here's a video of what i found:

Is that bush replaceable, if you can't get the whole gear?
          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

the shop that i talked to said that they could make a new bushing if i can't get one, but everywhere i've been looking seems that they have the gear, so i should be ok. just gotta wait till either i get my taxes back or one of the up coming pay periods

Comment

If I was you, I would inspect the rest of the gears for problems like that, otherwise you might have to tear it all apart again.

Comment

way ahead of you there. in fact, it was the last thing that i found as i was inspecting the dogs and slots in the gears. i didn't notice it at first, it took a while of looking at it while inspecting the dogs and slots to notice that it wobbled and was worn like that. otherwise all of the others are good to go. if you want, i can make another video of the main shaft and see what you guys think

Comment

Ok, so scratch that on the gear being available. I worked out a trade deal with one of my electrician buddies that got out a little while back for some tools that i had that i will never use (wire strippers). The agreement was he gets both pairs and he gets me a gear, which worked out for him since these retail for $200+ each. Well everywhere he tried doesn't have the gear so the original gear and lay shaft will go to the shop i have been talkin to to have him make a new bushing for it

Comment

So all the parts came a couple weeks ago, and now i've got it looking like an engine again. Just have to adjust the valves. I checked them and only 2 intake valves were in spec. Everything else was way out. I just have to find out which ones i need exactly. I think #1 exhaust is gonna need a 2.55 since there's a polished path on the cam lobe. It has a 2.65 now

Comment

Working...
                    X