Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil leaks. Clean everything up before pulling everything apart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leaks. Clean everything up before pulling everything apart?

Finally had some time to work on my bike yesterday. Having it more at chest/head level has given me the opportunity to see things I hadn't seen before. I have at least one oil leak. Should I wash the heck outta the engine first before assuming where it's coming from? Or maybe a more experienced eye could call it just from looking at some photos. Here's a bunch. I also discovered part of a bolt/cover was broken off. (see last photo)

I know for sure I need to replace my valve cover gasket and my intake boots/o-rings.

Clutch cover gasket? Oil pan gasket?

Where should I start?

Start by replacing the valve cover gasket and do a valve job at the same time. After that I'd do a real good degrease and wash of the entire engine. After everything is clean and dry, spray the engine down with some powder foot spray. Start the engine and look for where the leaks start. You'll see then right away. The only reason I'm saying to do the valve cover gasket now is because you know it's leaking and it's a good opportunity to do the valve adjustment.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Can I do a valve adjustment during this colder weather? I have a torpedo heater that warms up my work area to about 60 degrees or so. I've had some folks tell me to wait until spring, but I like to be productive during the winter months with maintenance and other work that needs to be done.

Comment

now is the perfect time, since you aren't riding. and you may be due for a "redneck" overhaul, or regasketing by looking at the amount of crud on your bike

Comment

Sure can. Valves are suppose to be adjusted with engine cold. I like to use my diesel heater during the winter month also.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2015, 08:17 PM.

Comment

You can do the valve adjustment at any ambient temperature, but the engine itself has to be stone cold. Yes, the clearances will be slightly different (higher) at 40F as opposed to 70F, but not enough to matter. You could raise the minimum to 0.04mm if you wanted to be extra paranoid. In cold weather, your more pressing issue is being able to actually do the job well with numb fingers!
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

What some people do to figure out exactly where the oil leaks are is clean the engine thoroughly, dry it. Then start it up and throw some flour or baking soda at the spot where the you think the oil is leaking and as soon as it starts to weep you will see it in the powder.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
              X