Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS850 owners - do you have a No.110 oil jet in clutch cover case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 owners - do you have a No.110 oil jet in clutch cover case?

Nothing in a google search or forum search yields anything on this...Recently pulled my burnt up clutch to find a toasted basket, primary driven gear and shredded/mostly missing #2 driven plate. Check post #14 in the link above for the pics, 81 850G with 50k miles, PO said he burned up the clutch going up a slippery, steep forest service road.

Mine doesn't have one, but I noticed that both the service manual downloaded from BassCliff's website and my Clymer manual that came with the bike refer specifically to the 81 and up 850's having an "No.110 oil jet" in the passage that leads down to the clutch release pinion:

Clymer:

Service Manual:

Yet the factory gasket (PO said he had the bike since new and never got into the clutch) has the hole blocked:

Scraping the gasket off reveals there is no oil jet below, nor is there a threaded hold for it:

Question is, should i try to source one and add it? Or just make sure at least my replacement gasket is open in that area to allow oil to trickle down the oil passage? I realize the jet will pressurize the oil by restricting it, but at least some oil down that passageway can't hurt, right? Thought from the pros - and does anyone have an 82 or newer 850 and have the jet or not?

Given that the #2 (second from the outside) driven plate was the one to fail, would extra oil have helped the clutch stay cooler and possibly help protect it from failure in the future?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

news to me..
    you have none...appears to have never had one.
    don't create problems for yourself is what i say.

added:
    the PO talked about a slick road...it wasn't the tire spinning...it was the clutch.
    he just revved it and let it slip/smoke the clutch...not the sharpest knife if you know what i mean..

Comment

Thanks blowerbike, thought it seemed a little strange, I won't worry about it... I appreciate your quick help, once again.

Found a couple of other things "smoked" on this bike as well! Some wiring, and the stator seems to have gotten a little deep fried as well. Then again, it is 34 years old and likely original. I know he replaced the R/R though, wonder what else I will find.
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Nothing on mine by memory, but my gasket has that hole. Does that oil channel lubricate the shifter shaft, because there's an oil feed out the main case lower down.

Comment

Had the same headscratching moment when opened mine up. Put it back as I found it. Initially thought PO may have removed it but there were no threads for a jet. Can't recall if the gasket had a hole or not.
          Last edited by Brendan W; 01-29-2015, 06:44 AM.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I have an '80, but have never paid any attention to that little detail. Didn't even know the jet existed.
            Had the clutch cover off a couple of months ago for polishing, but didn't know to look for the jet.

My wife has an '82, but the clutch cover has not been off the bike since it got polished about 8 years ago.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Looking at the part fiches it looks like the part was only applied to the GLX (1981 L) model. None of the 80 850's show it and by 1982 the part no longer shows up on either as well. Must have been an attempt to fix something that wasn't broken. Strange that they only used it on the L model since the engine should have been common between the G and the GL.

It's part number 13 in this picture:
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

image.jpgOn 650's, there's no jet but there is a downward inclined passage feeding clutch pivot with oil slung off clutch
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Maybe they got worried about too much oil going that route or that the oil seal would blow off and then changed their minds when the decimal point got put back in the right place.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

My 86 GS850G definitely has the jet fitted, noticed it first time I removed the cover, also found it was partially blocked with a bit of crud.

Comment

It is interesting that they had the passage there all along but few of the bikes (or even gaskets) I've seen even have the jet or hole in the gasket. Can't imagine that much oil gets down there either way but maybe I'll cut the hole in the new gasket just to ease my OCD

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G View Post
                        My 86 GS850G definitely has the jet fitted, noticed it first time I removed the cover, also found it was partially blocked with a bit of crud.
                        The parts fiches I found only went to 1983 so I don't know beyond that.
                        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
                          It is interesting that they had the passage there all along but few of the bikes (or even gaskets) I've seen even have the jet or hole in the gasket. Can't imagine that much oil gets down there either way but maybe I'll cut the hole in the new gasket just to ease my OCD
                          The 80-something engine that is currently apart has the hole, the gasket hole, but no jet. Come to think of it, iirc all of mine are the same.
                          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thinking I'll probably still carve a hole out if the gasket I order doesn't have one. It's hard to tell in most of the fiches.

It's probably not that big of a deal, but I can't help but wonder why Suzuki would design a passage, tell us about the 81 on bikes having the No. 110 jet, but the plug the hole with a gasket. Also haven't seen covers with threads machined. Like JTGS850GL stated, maybe it was attempt to fix something that wasn't broken. Or like Brendan mentions, perhaps it was concern about the seal.

Comment

Now it's been brought to my attention, I think I'll punch that hole in gaskets that don't have it. Not entirely unknown for thousands of gaskets to be produced missing a hole or two, as many owners of various vehicles have found to their cost.
                              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X