gear system on my GS650L 1982

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gear system on my GS650L 1982

Okay I was recently riding and noticed my bike would not slip into 6th gear... I'm pretty sure I had used it before even just idling with the clutch In I cannot slip it into 6th gear.... I've been told by people this bike only has 5 gears, then why the 6 lights? Any insight? I'm having a mind boggle any information would be great the bikes running great I dunno what's going on with that am Im a noob

Sorry no 6th gear on shafties! The gear display was also used on other bikes that did have six!
    While you are enjoying the "riding great" stuff , make sure you have checked tire date code to be safe.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Don't feel bad, whobarra. I had the same confusion when I bought my 1982 GS650GL.
      5 gears. 6 gear lights.

Comment

Suzuki was the master of "parts bin engineering" and used the same gear indicator cluster for just about all the bikes, although none of the bikes larger than 550cc actually had six gears.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Eventually, the bulbs all die and you get used to not having an idiot light telling you what gear you're in - which is as it should be.
          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
          X