gs1000 engine rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000 engine rattle

hi all i have a gs1000 which has developed a rattle noise on idle . all the usual suspects have been ruled out ie clutch basket has been rebuilt with new springs,barrells and pistons replaced , have a different head on, all shimmed up and buckets checked, cam chain tensioner has been out and checked, starter clutch out and checked,carbs cleaned and balanced, this has me baffled guys , has anyone any input into this please the bike runs and pulls perfect.

Do you have an APE clutch nut or a stock one? Threads get tired over time, even with the folding tab washer. My rattles have almost always been starter clutch x 6, then clutch.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

With engine running - do these one at a time:

Open the oil filler cap (yes - with engine running) - is noise amplified?

Pull in clutch - does noise stop?

Pull in clutch, engage first, step on rear brake, slowly release clutch until it bites - does noise stop?

Greetings
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Possible cam walk/endfloat, they all do that sir!. this may sound strange but does the rattle go when you tip the bike over while engine is running. Have a look at my old posts. Welcome to the forum.
        My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

hi all how do i uplload a video on this?

Comment

Originally posted by suzukikarl View Post
            hi all i have a gs1000 which has developed a rattle noise on idle . all the usual suspects have been ruled out ie clutch basket has been rebuilt with new springs,barrells and pistons replaced , have a different head on, all shimmed up and buckets checked, cam chain tensioner has been out and checked, starter clutch out and checked,carbs cleaned and balanced, this has me baffled guys , has anyone any input into this please the bike runs and pulls perfect.
            If you have checked all this, it could be the very small rubber cylinder that's behind the clutch hub that's missing.
            As the primary gears are heli cut, it absorbs the shocks coming from the hub as it moves inwards or outwards when the engine is slowing or accelerating the bike.
            It's the part number 28 on this schematic: http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs1000-1...7.html#results
            sigpicJohn Kat
            My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
            GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

hi all how do i uplload a video on this?
              Put the video up on Youtube.

Then make a post and copy and past the YouTube link the post using the little film icon on the RHS of all the icons above where you type.

Greetings
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                If you have checked all this, it could be the very small rubber cylinder that's behind the clutch hub that's missing.
                As the primary gears are heli cut, it absorbs the shocks coming from the hub as it moves inwards or outwards when the engine is slowing or accelerating the bike.
                It's the part number 28 on this schematic: http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs1000-1...7.html#results
                hi have done this aswell and all in place think ill just drive it see if anything gets noisier? funny thing is i have a gs 850 and you can barely hear it running its that quiet

Comment

Hey Karl. You might just have a worn basket. I had a couple spare GS1000 baskets and after seeing this video, I checked them and found one was completely worn. HD backing plate and springs won't fix this......Billy
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF45m...olz&playnext=1

Comment

GS1000 clutch baskets rattle while GS850 do not. I had no luck getting rid of the 1000 clutch rattle which is different than the cam chain rattle until I had Falicon rebuild the stock clutch hub. I replaced the nut with an overpriced APE Clutch nut. You can torque the stock one to 50 Ft-Lbs, bend the tab over and it will be loose in no time.

I also replaced the little rubber nub with no difference on mine. You hear cam end float up top, not worth fixing unless your a machinist.
                    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

like the last post suggests i have rebulit my clutch with the falicon springs , but the funny thing is i had another basket in there aswell and the same noise ,could it be the 2 clutch baskets are wore out ? im hoping to get a link to a video here when i get the bike back from the guy thats fixing it thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                        Possible cam walk/endfloat, they all do that sir!. this may sound strange but does the rattle go when you tip the bike over while engine is running. Have a look at my old posts. Welcome to the forum.
                        hi i have tried tilt the bike while running noise is still there on left side tilt .it seems not as bad on
                        right hand tilt for some reason?

Comment

Did you do my tests above?

Greetings
                          Richard
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                            With engine running - do these one at a time:

Open the oil filler cap (yes - with engine running) - is noise amplified?

Pull in clutch - does noise stop?

Pull in clutch, engage first, step on rear brake, slowly release clutch until it bites - does noise stop?

Greetings
                            Hi i have tried all 3 and noise is still
                            there. . But once you get over 1100 rpm its gone

Comment

Hi i have tried all 3 and noise is still
                              there. . But once you get over 1100 rpm its gone
                              Your idle should be set at about 1150 rpm anyway.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
                              X