83 gs1100e engine rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs1100e engine rebuild

Hi guys, I just split the cases on my 1983 gs1100e and plan on putting a wiseco 1133 kit in there as one of my senior projects in school. The cases were only split because a lot of crud fell down in there when the cylinder was removed. The cases are being fully disassembled and are being cleaned in an industrial parts cleaner and then blown out for peace of mind. This is the first complete engine rebuild I have ever done and I wanted to get some advice on what to look out for when putting everything back together on this engine. Anything in particular? The transmission has already been undercut and I have a welded clutch basket and a manual cam chain tension-er. The only thing I will be changing performance wise are the pistons. Thanks in advance!

Righty tighty, lefty loosy...lol sorry, I'm very imature.
    No signature

Comment

THATS a cool school project......good luck.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Haha, thanks guys. I was mostly posting this because ill probably have some random questions in the coming weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by evan132 View Post
          Hi guys, I just split the cases on my 1983 gs1100e and plan on putting a wiseco 1133 kit in there as one of my senior projects in school. The cases were only split because a lot of crud fell down in there when the cylinder was removed. The cases are being fully disassembled and are being cleaned in an industrial parts cleaner and then blown out for peace of mind. This is the first complete engine rebuild I have ever done and I wanted to get some advice on what to look out for when putting everything back together on this engine. Anything in particular? The transmission has already been undercut and I have a welded clutch basket and a manual cam chain tension-er. The only thing I will be changing performance wise are the pistons. Thanks in advance!
          Evan, curious about a few things. Are you building a drag bike? Under cut gears, welded clutch basket, manual cam chain tensioner? Seems over kill for a street bike and would require more maintenance (cam chain tension adjustment) than should be needed. Not to mention wear and tear on the clutch basket and primary gear.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Hi Rick, all those things were already done/on the bike before the rebuild. Its not going to be a drag bike but it does get ridden hard from time to time and will hopefully see a few track days at some point. I also have a nice stainless supertrapp on the bike with k&n's. The carbs are jetted and tuned very nicely for them and with the 1133 kit it should make some decent power.

Comment

Get a tube of Threebond 1207B sealant to use for sealing the case halves. Also, get a set of 76-82 GS 750 oil pump gears & a set of slotted cam sprockets while you have it apart. The pump gears will put more oil to the cam & rockers but will also COOL the valve springs with the extra oil up top, increasing valve spring life. The cam sprockets will give you the opportunity to set the cams where they will maximize the power & torque available. The clutch hub & trans are good starts & eliminate 2 big issues you could have had without them. Feel free to call me at 714--356-7845 if you ever have questions. I have been building & racing big GS motors for over 35 years & know how to make them live. Welcome to the site & good luck with your build!
              Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                Righty tighty, lefty loosy...lol sorry, I'm very imature.
                Don't you have some bikes to polish?
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks for the pointer on the three bond ray. I do plan on sourcing a set of the 750 gears at some point and the slotted gears are relatively cheap so ill plan to grab those too.

Comment

Anybody got a secret solution for getting the remains of the base gasket off? It's on there GOOD

Comment

Ahhh the dreaded base gasket. Sorry but no real magic trick to getting them off. you'll get a lot of suggestions about things to use and voodoo spray gasket removers but in reality it comes down to just plugging away at it with everything from a wood chisel to a single blade razor. Just lots of tedious work.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by evan132 View Post
                        Anybody got a secret solution for getting the remains of the base gasket off? It's on there GOOD
                        Muratic acid and a q-tip.Very sparingly and lots of patience.
                        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Do NOT use muriatic acid unless you are VERY experienced with it. No disrespect, but no way I'd use that stuff on a gasket.

The old style Permatex gasket remover is decent. Don't waste your time with the low VOC crap though. You dab on the remover and wait about 15 mins and then the top layer of the gasket will be a little softer. Scrap that off and reapply the sauce. After about 4 sessions with that stuff and you should have it. Not a fun job.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I did this a while back and unfortunately there is no easy way to get it off.

I tried gasket remover (which if you read the label isn't for gaskets at all, it's for removing RTV gasket maker). I tried razor blades. I tried a screwdriver (bad idea!).

The least obnoxious way that I found was to use a very sharp good-quality wood chisel. Fairly wide, no smaller than 1/2", no larger than 3/4". You'll have to sharpen it again every 5 minutes or so and it will still probably take a couple hours at least. So make sure your work surface is at a comfortable height and you have good lighting and enjoyable music. Don't be in a hurry or you will gouge the surface.
                            Charles
                            --
                            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

i agree.i just went through this on my 82 gs 850 during a re ring and hone job.patience,patience,and if you use a single edge razor blade be careful.it stops when it hits the bone.ask me how i know!

Comment

Working...
                              X