Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GK - Clutch Freeplay Changes Drastically

Hello all.

Back on the de-k'd GK after about 5 years down (shame on me). The bike is better in almost every way than it was a decade ago when I first received it, but my clutch play drives me nuts.

It's been so long I cannot recall if it was always an issue, but when hot my clutch lever play goes loose as can be. Today I did a short scoot of around 15 minutes and went from a nickle's worth of play cold to the engine stalling with almost half an inch of play at a stop. It's had the much loathed Motion Pro clutch cables as the current and last (snapped the last MP and the unknown cable before froze). I don't recall how it was new as it's been so long. I put ebc plates and springs in maybe two years into owning the unit, but if I know me well enough I believe I would've strapped it back on the lift immediately if it were different than what I'd remembered at the time. Almost wish I had a motocross perch with a quick adjuster lol. I have to adjust back loose when I park to avoid sacking clutch springs. I know this cable is currently routed between the #1 and #2 intake manifolds and is likely subjected to a great deal of heat, and I kind of suspect this to be the issue. I've searched but haven't found much about it. Has anyone else had this issue? Perhaps tried cable for different model or alternative routing?

Thanks for listening and for any advice.

JZ

I had a similar problem (though not as severe) when I replaced my clutch cable with new genuine suzuki one. Definitely picked up slack (maybe 1/8 inch)when hot- annoying ,but I too figured it had to do with cable heating up and adding some length. Your case sounds like it's internal to clutch basket though.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I went through 2 MP cables in a month, after my original 30yr old clutch cable let go. As the cables were going, the free play would just keep increasing (that was the cable stretching, as individual strands were breaking). I realized the error of my ways & got an oem cable. No problems since, in the last two years. Now, I wouldn't put anything other than an oem cable on a GS.
      Also, I'm about to replace my clutch discs. They'll be oem too!

Comment

Originally posted by LarryJ View Post
        Also, I'm about to replace my clutch discs. They'll be oem too!
        While you are there, splurge, spend another $20 and get new springs, too. OEM, of course.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think I'll add a Suzuki cable to my next order, and for the time being try some heat tape I have lying around on the part of the cable that runs between the carbs. I'll probably be back into the clutch when I decide to polish the cover here soon too so I'll do some looking around while I'm in there. I wonder if that APE clutch nut fits these bikes too?

Comment

Did quite a bit of riding today after wrapping the cable with heat tape. The issue is about 50% better. I think I'm looking at a combination of crappy cable, stiffer clutch springs (stressing already crappy cable), and heat. Also ended up spotting and talking to a fellow today on a RG500. My first words to him were "Where in the world did you find that?" lol.

Comment

Working...
            X