Stuck Valve Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck Valve Cover

Edit: Got the cover off and added a few images and other questions further in the post.

Hey guys so tonight I decided to get into the valve cover and check the valve clearances. First thing I noticed was the majority of the bolts were extremely easy to loosen, a couple turns with the wrench and they came out by hand the rest of the way. I only had one that I had to "break" free. Before even getting into it I could tell a PO had done something to it due to the standard head screw on one of the chrome caps, then I noticed a smaller 8MM bolt in one of the cover spots.

Upon further inspection after removing the caps I noticed some white gunk, I am assuming a PO had using a sealant of some type on the cover. Here is what I see.

I am unable to pull the cover off, I pulled evenly on both sides, nothing happened. I attempted to lightly pry it with a pry bar but knowing how fragile aluminum is I didn't get to aggressive with it. I heated up a side a little but again didn't want to get crazy with that either until I got further input.

Could cold have something to do with it as well?

So that is my issue any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I'll keep searching in the meantime.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2015, 12:26 AM.

Looks like the typical treatment for reusing the half moons...just a tad of sealer in the U and across the top. Try a 1 inch putty knife and tap it in straight and flat with the head surface as to not make gouges. Then swing it left and right to kinda cut the gasket. Do that in several spots. Now that a lot of the grip is cut, take a dowel or hammer handle and stick it in right down the center under the cover and on top of the heads fins and pry it up. usually so good resistance but it will let loose.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

In my remarks I naturally gave him enough credit to know the bolts had to be removed.....He did state they all came out with fingers after being broke loose so I figured the picture was of the grey stuff before removal??
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Looks like the typical treatment for reusing the half moons...just a tad of sealer in the U and across the top. Try a 1 inch putty knife and tap it in straight and flat with the head surface as to not make gouges. Then swing it left and right to kinda cut the gasket. Do that in several spots. Now that a lot of the grip is cut, take a dowel or hammer handle and stick it in right down the center under the cover and on top of the heads fins and pry it up. usually so good resistance but it will let loose.
        Ok thanks for the advice, I'll give that a go and see what happens.

Edit: And it does appear that I am missing the 2 horns that are right above the valve cover.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2015, 11:24 PM.

Comment

plastic hammer...use caution..

Comment

Don't fret too much. Valve covers are cheap.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well its off! And it appears I did not wreck any parts, just broke the gasket free in a few places and used the wooden handle on the hammer to pry up. Thank you guys for your help!

It does appear that whatever goop they used previously did leak into a couple spots. As long as I clean it, there should be no problem?

Forgive me but I do not know what the individual parts are called.

As far as cleaning the old gasket off, I have heard a scotch pad, carb cleaner? and some elbow grease should do the trick? Would a nylon brush or even a wire brush be ok? Being careful not to mar the surface.

I can get the cover to a parts cleaning tank too, thinking that might be the easiest for that one.

Edit: How might I change the image size so they aren't to big?

Comment

Originally posted by Slycox View Post
                Edit: How might I change the image size so they aren't to big?
                Pictures are near-perfect.

They do fill the screen without having to scroll.

You also did a great job of putting a blank line between the pictures, to give them a 'border'.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok for some reason they are larger on mine and I have to scroll through the picture.

Comment

When you refit the valve cover, just smear some grease lightly on both sides of the gasket, and do not use any of that "goop" the PO got carried away with. Next time when you remove the valve cover, this will save you the hours that it is going to take you to clean that gasket from both surfaces!
                    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by Slycox View Post
                      Ok for some reason they are larger on mine and I have to scroll through the picture.
                      One thing you can do would be the same thing that I do.

In your Photobucket preferences, you can have all the pictures you upload automatically re-sized. I have mine set to 800 pixels on the long side. You can click on any of the links in my sig to see how that size looks on your screen. Let me know if you need help finding those settings.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You have a screwdriver bit down in the head fins next to a cylinder head stud !. You might want to remove it in case it drops in an open plug hole.
                        My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                          You have a screwdriver bit down in the head fins next to a cylinder head stud !. You might want to remove it in case it drops in an open plug hole.
                          I was wondering if someone would notice that. I did get it out with my magnet so it's all good!

Comment

Spent about 2 hrs tonight getting the old gasket and everything else off. Whoever put it on went crazy with the goop, there was a gray layer of something on the very bottom then some brown stuff and then the gasket and what looks like more brown stuff. The brown stuff is every where, at some point in the future I will tear the whole thing down to get it all off.
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2015, 01:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Well the bottom half is clean, there is a couple gouges here and there thankfully I didn't add to them. Took about 5hrs to get the whole bottom half clean. Couldn't feel anything on there other than what I could see. I will have to recheck next time I get out there. And I will be changing the oil ASAP as careful as I was not to let anything fall in, I still fear some particles fell down.

Comment

Working...
                              X