Stuck Valve Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slycox View Post
    And I will be changing the oil ASAP as careful as I was not to let anything fall in, I still fear some particles fell down.
    I certainly don't want to add to your paranoia, but rest assured that anything that fell in did not fall all the way to the bottom. Yep, it is likely still on the wall somewhere, stuck to the oil film. That crud will not be available for draining until you run the engine for a while to flush it loose.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      I certainly don't want to add to your paranoia, but rest assured that anything that fell in did not fall all the way to the bottom. Yep, it is likely still on the wall somewhere, stuck to the oil film. That crud will not be available for draining until you run the engine for a while to flush it loose.

I figured as much. I'm going to drain and fill it to get whatever if any made it down. Then after my carb sync oil and filter change.

Comment

Another couple hours of cleaning time, this time on the valve cover and finally got it decent. It is not perfect or pretty but it is hopefully functional again. Someone had taken a rather abrasive brush to it before me but I think it'll be ok.

Couple pictures of the brown goop, I am wondering if it maybe was clear RTV or the like that absorbed oil overtime.

Couple hours work here:

Comment

Bike is running and doesn't appear to have any oil leaks or anything and she is running great, just needs a proper sync and all that fine tuning stuff.

I do have a question regarding the chrome cap screws, I ordered a new one to replace the the odd ball that I had and it is flat topped and has the dot on it, the ones on it are slightly rounded tops and no apparent dots. It is my understanding that the dot indicates JIS. Are there different types of screw covers for the caps or are the ones I have incorrect?

Also is there a diagram showing which bolts go where? I noticed out of the 16 cover bolts some were 35mm and some were 40mm, tooks some doing but I got them back correctly I believe. Would just be nice to have int he future.

Comment

Pretty much all the cover screws on a GS will have about the same space under the head if you just stick it in the hole. A space under the head of about twice the screw diameter or a bit less means you have the right length screw for that position.

The head shapes for the chrome caps are not that critical. Finding domed screws like the originals isn't easy. I really don't like the ones that come in the stainless screw kits (which are otherwise very nice). The sockets are too small and shallow. And they're ugly in the cap. I thought I found a source for the domed ones once, but I didn't have a link saved where I thought I did.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              The head shapes for the chrome caps are not that critical. Finding domed screws like the originals isn't easy. I really don't like the ones that come in the stainless screw kits (which are otherwise very nice). The sockets are too small and shallow. And they're ugly in the cap. I thought I found a source for the domed ones once, but I didn't have a link saved where I thought I did.
              Ok thanks! I would like all stock as much as possible at the very least all the same. That one bolt I have for the cover is all nice and shiny and the others have a nice dirty look. Oh well I'll have to put the money into the important things first.

Comment

I went on another search. JIS oval head is what I should have been looking for. Probably something like this.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yep thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                  X